Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C++ and Visual C++

1. Sep 29, 2005 #1
    Umm guys, is visual c++ a very different programming language than c++. I mean, I installed a copy of visual c++ and looked at the pre-made template of hello world but saw that it is very different from the normal source code for c++.

I have this code made from devcpp, the calculator if you remember, and I want to implement some GUI and buttons but it seems that I need to do additional studying of visual c++ just to do this..is this right???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Visual C++ is a term coined by Microsoft. Why you say you're using Visual C++ you're implying your using Win32 API. There are many other GUI development toolkits. GTk and QT are other options.

Unless you're confortable with command-line programming I don't suggest doing GUI programming. It gets complicated pretty quickly.

4. Sep 29, 2005 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I use Visual C++ and gcc to write console non-Win32-API C++ code. I use conditional macros to allow me to compile with either compiler.

5. Sep 29, 2005 #4
    do yourself a favor and get a programmer's text editor rather than adding all the cruft the VC++ adds to development.

6. Oct 3, 2005 #5
    C++ is a multi-platform languge. Visual C++ is microsoft's version of C++, and most of its libaries depend upon Windows API calls. Hence, it is no longer multi-platform.

In any event, Visual C++ is a IDE developed by Microsoft, but it indeed, has the same syntax as any other type of C++ IDE (such as Borland's). :tongue2:

Take my advice and use Delphi for your RAD needs, unless you need extream flexibity or you need to get low level (and even delphi has an inline assembler) :yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?