Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C-C bond in acetone

1. Sep 26, 2016 #1
    I know that in acetone the central carbon atom is ##sp^2## hybridized. It is bonded to the single oxygen atom with a ##\sigma##-bond and a ##\pi##-bond. But what is the bond type with the two C-C bonds? The lower carbon atoms are ##sp^3## hybridized and so their geometry is tetrahedral. Are the two "lower" carbon atoms oriented such that the C-C bond is a ##\sigma##-bond? If so, can we generalize this and say that all single bonds are ##\sigma##-bonds?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

On the other carbon atoms, all p orbitals have been hybridized into sp3, so there are no possibilities of making π bonds.

I don't know of a single example of a single bond that is not a σ bond. That may be wrong, but it is at least a very good rule of thumb.

4. Sep 26, 2016 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

How is a sigma bond defined?

5. Sep 29, 2016 #4
    A sigma bond is defined as a single bond lol. My guess is it's defined according to the same alphabetical principle as the "spdf" of orbitals. That is, sigma, pi, delta, phi. Am I wrong?

6. Sep 29, 2016 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Where did you read that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted