File Input & Output in C++: Why Use a String Literal?

In summary: I wonder why, since they must have discussed this.Anyway, apparently it is finally fixed in C++11. :)
Whovian
I felt like learning a bit about file input and output in C++. Tried some code, couldn't get it to work unless I made the path to the file a string literal, not a variable type. Why is this, and is there any way to get a string data type to be inputted as a path?

Technology news on Phys.org
You should be able to do it with the path stored in a variable. Show us the code you're talking about.

Whovian said:
I felt like learning a bit about file input and output in C++. Tried some code, couldn't get it to work unless I made the path to the file a string literal, not a variable type. Why is this, and is there any way to get a string data type to be inputted as a path?

I'm assuming you tried something like:
Code:
std::string filename("/path/to/file");
std::ifstream ifs(filename);
Did you?

If so, try:
Code:
std::string filename("/path/to/file");
std::ifstream ifs(filename.c_str());

I tried

Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
	string file = "Documents/Programming/C++.txt";
	string contents;
	ifstream in;
	ofstream out;
	out.open(file);
	out << "This is a C++ program here." << endl;
	out.close();
	in.open(file);
	getline(in,contents);
	in.close();
	cout << contents << endl;
	return 0;
	}

Note that I'm on a MAC, so that is a valid path. Using file.c_str seemed to work, thanks!

Whovian said:
Using file.c_str seemed to work, thanks!

You're welcome. :smile:

You'd think that the C++ ifstream constructor could take a C++ string as its argument. My understanding is that it's a backward-compatibility issue with ancient versions of C++ that pre-date the first standardized version (in which the 'string' data type was introduced).

You'd still think you could create another constructor that takes a string object; I don't see how any backwards compatibility issues would occur.

jhae2.718 said:
You'd still think you could create another constructor that takes a string object; I don't see how any backwards compatibility issues would occur.

Agreed.

You'd think they would have fixed this in C++03, but they didn't.
I wonder why, since they must have discussed this.

Anyway, apparently it is finally fixed in C++11.

1. Why do we need to use a string literal for file input and output in C++?

Using a string literal allows us to pass a sequence of characters as an argument to a function or store it in a variable. In the case of file input and output, it allows us to specify the file name or path as a parameter in the appropriate functions.

2. What is the difference between a string literal and a regular string in C++?

A string literal is a fixed sequence of characters enclosed in double quotation marks, while a regular string is a sequence of characters stored in a variable. String literals are used to initialize regular strings or pass them as arguments to functions.

3. Can I use a variable instead of a string literal for file input and output?

Yes, you can use a variable that contains a string as an argument for file input and output functions. However, the variable must be of type char or char*, and it must contain a valid file name or path.

4. How do I specify a file path using a string literal in C++?

To specify a file path using a string literal, you need to include the full path in double quotation marks. For example, "C:\Users\Documents\file.txt". If you are using a relative path, you can use "../" to move up one directory.

5. Are there any limitations to using string literals for file input and output in C++?

One limitation of using string literals for file input and output is that the file name or path must be known at compile time. This means that you cannot use user input or other variables to specify the file name or path. Additionally, string literals have a maximum length limitation, so they may not be suitable for handling very long file paths.