C Programming: Getting Input Without Enter Key

• Thread starter Peter P.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Input
In summary, there are functions available in non-standard libraries that allow for input without the need for pressing enter, such as getch() in the curses library. However, proper initialization and termination is necessary for this to work correctly. One option is to use the conio.h library, but it may be better to use curses for more versatility. Setting up curses may require a tutorial. If only planning to use Windows DOS console mode, conio is a suitable option.
Peter P.
im looking for functions that do not require the user to press enter. such as, they press "a" and the program continues, instead of something like "a[enter]" when using scanf.

Technology news on Phys.org
You can't do this in standard C.

You can do it using system-dependent libraries. One that is fairly widely available (but with minor differences on different operating systems) is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curses_(programming_library ). The function you want is getch(), but you need to read a tutorial to find out how to initialize and terminate using the library properly. (Otherwise, in the worst case, when your program terminates NOTHING will be able to read the keyboard again until you reboot the computer!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.

Also, i was looking through the non-standard libraries that the compiler i use has, and noticed conio.h, i was wondering whether it would be better to just stick with conio or use curses? and if anyone would suggest curses, can you possibly tell me how to set it up? i use pelles c compiler and my laptop is running windows 7.

Last edited:
Peter P. said:
Also, i was looking through the non-standard libraries that the compiler i use has, and noticed conio.h, i was wondering whether it would be better to just stick with conio or use curses?
If you only plan to run those programs in windows dos console mode (or an actual copy of MSDOS, either dual boot or virtual pc), then conio is fine.

One option for getting input without having to press the enter key is to use the "getch()" function from the "conio.h" library in C. This function reads a single character from the keyboard without requiring the user to press enter. Another option is to use the "getchar()" function from the standard input/output library "stdio.h". This function also reads a single character from the keyboard without requiring the user to press enter. These functions can be useful for creating more streamlined and efficient user interfaces in C programs. However, it's important to note that these functions may not work on all systems and may have limitations in terms of the types of input they can handle. It's always important to thoroughly test and validate your code before implementing it in a production environment.

1. How can I get user input in C programming without using the Enter key?

In C programming, you can use the getch() function from the conio.h library to get user input without requiring the Enter key. This function reads a single character from the keyboard without waiting for the user to press Enter.

2. Is it possible to get multiple characters as input without using the Enter key in C programming?

Yes, it is possible to get multiple characters as input without using the Enter key in C programming. You can use the getch() function in a loop to continuously read characters until the desired input length is reached.

3. How do I clear the input buffer in C programming?

To clear the input buffer in C programming, you can use the fflush(stdin) command. This command flushes any remaining characters in the input buffer, allowing you to start fresh with new user input.

4. Can I get numerical input without using the Enter key in C programming?

Yes, you can get numerical input without using the Enter key in C programming. You can use the getch() function to read individual characters and then use the atoi() or atof() functions to convert them into numerical values.

5. Are there any limitations to using the getch() function for getting input without the Enter key in C programming?

One limitation of using the getch() function is that it only reads a single character at a time. This can be inefficient for getting large amounts of user input. Additionally, the conio.h library is not supported by all C compilers, so this method may not be portable across different systems.