Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C language pointer question

1. Jun 20, 2014 #1
    int main(void)

{
    int *ptr;
    int a=1, b=2, c=3;

ptr = &a;
    printf("%p\n", &ptr);

printf("%p\n", &b);

printf("%p\n", &c);

ptr = b;

printf("%p\n", ptr);

printf("%d\n", a);

system("PAUSE");
    return 0;

}

ok here is the code I wrote.

ptr(the pointer that stores the address of integer a) is assigned the value 2, and now points the address 2.

therefore a value is still 1.

but somehow when I changed the red colored part to

*ptr=b, now a has a value of 2.

when I change *ptr=&b, a has a weird large value.

could you guys explain me why this happens?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why would you expect otherwise? You have said the following: "create a pointer to a memory location (which happens to be where the variable "a" is stored. Put into that location the value held by the variable "b". Since b is 2, the value of a after that operation is 2.

4. Jun 20, 2014 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

so ptr points to vairable a by virtue of ptr=&a and now you've changed a's value to 2 by virtue of *ptr = b where b=2

THe *ptr says store a value in the location where the ptr points which is variable a :

*ptr=b ---equivalent to----> a=b;

5. Jun 21, 2014 #4
    well, I just wonder whats the difference between the statements *ptr=b and ptr=b.
    I thought *ptr=b also means pointer(address)=b because *ptr is still a pointer that stores the address of a.

Then, whats the mechanism? ptr is still pointing at a(stores the address of a).
    just copy the value of b that *ptr points to?

6. Jun 21, 2014 #5

verty

Homework Helper

[strike]These two are equivalent: ptr = b, ptr = &b. C will automatically cast to a pointer type if the r-value is not a pointer type. And *ptr = b as explained above is the same as a = b, the type on the left is something like int&, reference to int.[/strike]

[strike]If you think of C++ references like "int &a = b", it's similar to that.[/strike] (see D H's reply)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  7. Jun 21, 2014 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is completely wrong. Consider the following:
    Code (Text):

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
    {
       int *ptr;
       int b=2;

ptr = b;
       printf("%p\n", ptr);

ptr = &b;
       printf("%p\n", &b);

return 0;
    }

Demonstration at https://ideone.com/mU7XmC

ptr=b tries to do just what the programmer said to do, which is to set the contents of ptr to the contents of b. With most compilers this statement will result in a warning such as "incompatible integer to pointer conversion". But the compiler does try to do what the programmer said to do, even if it doesn't make much sense.

ptr=&b does exactly what the programmer said to do, which is to set the contents of ptr to the address of b.

8. Jun 21, 2014 #7

verty

Homework Helper

For some reason I remembered that C converts to pointer types automatically, but it seems it is only for arrays that that happens, an array will convert to a pointer to the first element:

Code (Text):

int a[10], *ptr;
    ptr = a;
    ptr = &a;

The first assignment converts ##a## to a pointer to the first element automatically. The second assignment warns about assignment from incompatible pointer type, I'm not entirely sure why though, the value assigned to ptr is exactly the same. This is just crazy, if one should use ptr = &b, surely one should use ptr = &a when a is an array.

Then also, I tried your example in GCC, it does warn about ptr = b but there is no way to turn that warning into an error without turning all warnings into errors. So probably the answer is to use some kind of lint tool to scan one's code for this type of issue.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  9. Jun 21, 2014 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Surely not!

The assignment ptr=&b (presumably b is an int rather than an array) instructs the compiler to take the address of b and assign the result to ptr. This is syntactically correct in C and in C++. Both the left and right hand sides are of type pointer to an int. The same is true for the assignment ptr=&a[0].

The assignment ptr=&a (where a is an integer array of ten elements) instructs the compiler to take the address of a and assign the result to ptr. This results in a warning in C and an error in C++. The right hand side is of type int(*)[10] while the target is of type int*. C explicitly allows automatic conversion between different type pointers. C++ does not. It tries to be type safe. The following is legal and compiles without warning in both C and C++:
    Code (Text):

int a[10], (*a_ptr)[10];
    a_ptr = &a;

What about the assignment ptr=a? This is legal and compiles warning-free in both C and C++. This is because the use of the array a on the right hand side degrades to a pointer.

This degradation of arrays to pointers can be a bit of a nuisance. It hearkens back to the original C, well before there was an ANSI standard, when stack space was a very precious resource. Having arrays degrade to pointers made passing arrays efficient. The degradation to a pointer means that the array access operator (open/close square brackets) is just semantic sugar for pointer dereference. int b = a[4] means exactly the same thing as int b = *(a+4). It also means that one way to obfuscate C and C++ code is to use int b = 4[a].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook