C language problem ?

• Thread starter rclakmal
  • Start date

Homework Statement

1Can we perform arithmetic operations between float and int variables ,
As an example can we say a+b while a is an integer and b is a float.

2 And what function below will read NUMBER of elements from a file?
fileread( )
getline( )
readfile( )
fread( )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
As an example can we say a+b while a is an integer and b is a float.
Yes. Look for type promotion.

fileread( )
getline( )
readfile( )
fread( )
C? stdio.h?

stdio.h header file is there !!!! i want to know what function will read number of elements from file ?/

Borek
Mentor
read can do it. Trick is, you are listing functions that as far as I remember are not present neither in io.h nor stdio.h, so I have no idea what you refer to.

sylas
Science Advisor
read can do it. Trick is, you are listing functions that as far as I remember are not present neither in io.h nor stdio.h, so I have no idea what you refer to.
Two of them are in stdio.h, and one of them is for reading a given number of elements from a FILE stream.

Borek
Mentor
Yes, two are present - but two are not.

sylas
Science Advisor
Yes, two are present - but two are not.
I think it must be a simple multichoice quiz question with two dummy functions that sound plausible and don't exist, and two real functions... only one of which does what is asked.

Borek
Mentor
To some extent that's what I supposed at first, but - as such functions do exist in some languages/libraries - I wasn't sure what the question really is about; hence my attempt at clarificatin of the situation.

sylas
Science Advisor
stdio.h header file is there !!!! i want to know what function will read number of elements from file ?/
Use grep, egrep or fgrep to look for definitions of those four functions in stdio.h. You should be able to figure it from there.

I think it must be a simple multichoice quiz question with two dummy functions that sound plausible and don't exist, and two real functions... only one of which does what is asked.
Yr exactly .....it is the case Its a MCQ .So what will be the answer help please .

sylas
Science Advisor
Yr exactly .....it is the case Its a MCQ .So what will be the answer help please .
Before there was google, there was grep to answer everything... :wink:

grep stdio.h for the function definitions... or use man

You have mentioned that two functions here exist and others do not .so please tell me which one exists.

Borek
Mentor
Use grep or any other tool to check the content of stdio.h and io.h, we will not spoonfeed you.

oh thanks so much for ur VALUABLE advice !!!!!!!it was a great help!!!!!!