1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C++ Model of a charged particle in a magnetic field

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Im taking my first physics class and We have to do a research project. The project can be anything we want. I decided to make a c++ program to model a charged particle in a magnetic field. When I first researched the problem I't seemed straight forward enough. The force on a particle in a magnetic field is givin by F = q(v X B). I thought I could solve for acceleration and then integrate via RK4 to produce a velocity for time t+delta t. Then using the previous velocity and the acceleration form the Lorentz force I would get the next position of the particle using x = v*t + 1/2 * a * t^2. I thought I could do this in a loop to generate a data file witch I could then graph using gnuplot.

The problem is that the force caused my the B field will not change the speed of the particle only the direction. When I integrate numerical the speed changes. If I try to normalize the new velocity and scale by the previous velocity the radius of the path does not line up with a the radius I calculate by hand. I have tried RK4 and the trapezoid method. Im now thinking about modeling the particle and a constant circular motion around a drift point, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to model constant circular motion in three dimentions.

I have hit a wall and cannot get this to work.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma
    F = qv X B
    F = mv^2 / r
    r = v^2 / a
    r = mv / |q|B

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't think I should post 1000+ lines of code. Here is my latest attempt at integration. I am using the mpf_t form the GNU MP library which I have wrapped in a C++ class. hpv3d_t is a vector class that uses the wrapped mpf_t.
    hpv3d_t k1, k2, k3, k4;
    k1 = ((eField + velocity % bField) * chargeDivMass) * deltaTime;
    k2 = ((eField + (velocity + k1 * 0.5) % bField) * chargeDivMass) * deltaTime;
    k3 = ((eField + (velocity + k2 * 0.5) % bField) * chargeDivMass) * deltaTime;
    k4 = ((eField + (velocity + k3) % bField) * chargeDivMass) * deltaTime;
    velocity = velocity + (k1 + k2 * 2.0 + k3 * 2.0 + k4) * (deltaTime / 6);

the eField is <0,0,0> for now

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted