1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C++ not object oriented?

1. Apr 11, 2003 #1
    I am a student of computer science, and naturally was shocked when, during my recent trip to a bookstore, was told that C++ in not really object oriented. The guy at the store referred me to a language called Smalltalk, which is supposedly the true object oriented language. I assume that most people would share my point of view in agreeing that C++ is an object oriented language, but can someone explain to me why it would not be considered as such, while Smalltalk would.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2003 #2
    C++ is object-oriented; however, the OO is basically welded on top of a language (C) not designed for that purpose. So the design is less-than-optimal, and it can be a pain in the ass to use sometimes. Those of us that remember using tempates and STL in the old days know this well... :)

Smalltalk was IIRC one of the first OO designed languages, but there are many others. I like Java, personally.

4. Apr 14, 2003 #3
    Hello!
    You can read:

Taken from:

http://acm.uva.es/board/viewtopic.php?t=370&start=30

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?