Understanding Discrete Symmetries in Quantum Field Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the treatment of discrete symmetries in Peskin's QFT book. This includes defining a spin flip operation and using it to solve the Dirac equation. The author also discusses the possibility of dealing with discrete symmetries in other dimensions and their representation independence.
ismaili
I don't quite understand the treatment of discrete symmetries, for example, in Peskin's QFT book:

Because by definition time reversal symmetry should flip the spin and momentum, so he defined an operation to flip the spin state of a two-component spinor, i.e.
[tex] \xi^{-s} \equiv -i\sigma^2(\xi^s)^* \quad\cdots(1)[/tex]
, from this definition of spin flip, we have [tex] \xi^{-s} = (\xi^2 , -\xi^1) [/tex].

And, previously, he has already solved the Dirac equation and got solutions:
[tex] u^s(p) = (\sqrt{p\cdot\sigma}\xi^s , \sqrt{p\cdot\bar{\sigma}} \xi^s) [/tex]
[tex] v^s(p) = (\sqrt{p\cdot\sigma}\eta^s , -\sqrt{p\cdot\bar{\sigma}} \eta^s) [/tex]
where [tex]\xi^s, \eta^s[/tex] are two-component spinor basis.
Now he chooses
[tex] v^s(p) = (\sqrt{p\cdot\sigma}\xi^{-s} , -\sqrt{p\cdot\bar{\sigma}} \xi^{-s}) [/tex]
and he defines
[tex] a^{-s}_{\mathbf{p}} = (a^s_{\mathbf{p}} , -a_{\mathbf{p}}^1) , b^{-s}_{\mathbf{p}} = (b^s_{\mathbf{p}} , -b_{\mathbf{p}}^1) [/tex]
Then, he can compute [tex] T\psi T = \cdots = \gamma^1\gamma^3 \psi(-t,\mathbf{x})[/tex]

My questions:
(1) Why he defined the spin flip by eq(1)? and why does he define [tex]a_{\mathbf{p}}^{-s}[/tex] in such a way? Why doesn't he just define [tex] \xi^{-s} = (\xi^2 , \xi^1) [/tex]?

(2) He worked out all these discrete symmetric transformation of spinor fields in a particular representation of gamma matrices, i.e. chiral representation of gamma matrices. Is it possible to deal with discrete symmetries without working in a particular representation? Is the result he gets representation independent?

(3) Is it possible to define discrete symmetries in other dimensions? They can be defined only in certain dimensions or in arbitrary dimensions?

Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
ismaili said:
I don't quite understand the treatment of discrete symmetries, for example, in Peskin's QFT book:

Because by definition time reversal symmetry should flip the spin and momentum, so he defined an operation to flip the spin state of a two-component spinor, i.e.
[tex] \xi^{-s} \equiv -i\sigma^2(\xi^s)^* \quad\cdots(1)[/tex]
, from this definition of spin flip, we have [tex] \xi^{-s} = (\xi^2 , -\xi^1) [/tex].

And, previously, he has already solved the Dirac equation and got solutions:
[tex] u^s(p) = (\sqrt{p\cdot\sigma}\xi^s , \sqrt{p\cdot\bar{\sigma}} \xi^s) [/tex]
[tex] v^s(p) = (\sqrt{p\cdot\sigma}\eta^s , -\sqrt{p\cdot\bar{\sigma}} \eta^s) [/tex]
where [tex]\xi^s, \eta^s[/tex] are two-component spinor basis.
Now he chooses
[tex] v^s(p) = (\sqrt{p\cdot\sigma}\xi^{-s} , -\sqrt{p\cdot\bar{\sigma}} \xi^{-s}) [/tex]
and he defines
[tex] a^{-s}_{\mathbf{p}} = (a^s_{\mathbf{p}} , -a_{\mathbf{p}}^1) , b^{-s}_{\mathbf{p}} = (b^s_{\mathbf{p}} , -b_{\mathbf{p}}^1) [/tex]
Then, he can compute [tex] T\psi T = \cdots = \gamma^1\gamma^3 \psi(-t,\mathbf{x})[/tex]

My questions:
(1) Why he defined the spin flip by eq(1)? and why does he define [tex]a_{\mathbf{p}}^{-s}[/tex] in such a way? Why doesn't he just define [tex] \xi^{-s} = (\xi^2 , \xi^1) [/tex]?

(2) He worked out all these discrete symmetric transformation of spinor fields in a particular representation of gamma matrices, i.e. chiral representation of gamma matrices. Is it possible to deal with discrete symmetries without working in a particular representation? Is the result he gets representation independent?

(3) Is it possible to define discrete symmetries in other dimensions? They can be defined only in certain dimensions or in arbitrary dimensions?

Thank you so much.

(1) I still don't know the solution to question (1). I found that for a two-component Weyl spinor, [tex] -i\sigma^2 (xi) [/tex] is actually the definition of charge conjugation. But he called such a transformation as spin flip.
When we solve the Dirac equation, [tex]u(p) = \sqrt{m}(\xi^s,\xi^s)^T[/tex] and [tex] v(p) = \sqrt{m}(\eta^s,-\eta^s)^T[/tex], where [tex]\xi^s, s=1,2[/tex] are two independent basis of two-component spinors, and [tex] \eta^s, s=1,2[/tex] are another two independent basis of two-component Weyl spinors. Peskin chose [tex]\eta[/tex] to be the charge conjugate of [tex]\xi[/tex]. In this way, the relation [tex] u^s(p) = -i\gamma^2(v^s(p))^*[/tex] is only valid when we made such a choice?

(2) The relation among gamma matrices was found once, it is valid in any representation. So, to this question, the answer should be yes. The result we get is of course representation independent.

(3) still need study..

1. What are C, P, and T discrete symmetries?

C, P, and T are discrete symmetries that describe the behavior of particles and physical systems under certain transformations. C stands for charge conjugation, P stands for parity, and T stands for time reversal.

2. How are C, P, and T symmetries related?

C, P, and T are related through the CPT theorem, which states that the combination of these three symmetries must be conserved in all physical interactions.

3. What is charge conjugation?

Charge conjugation is a symmetry operation that transforms a particle into its corresponding antiparticle, by reversing its charge and changing its chiral properties.

4. What is parity?

Parity is a symmetry operation that reverses the spatial coordinates of a system, essentially flipping it in a mirror image. It is also known as left-right symmetry.

5. What is time reversal?

Time reversal is a symmetry operation that reverses the direction of time, essentially running a system backwards. It is also known as T-symmetry.