1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C++ printf help

1. Jan 21, 2004 #1
    I have a program due in couple hours. Professor expects us to know C++ when we never really went over programming; he expects us to just know it .. anyhow

I have two inputs used with scanf

it's toll and norm

these two values need to be put into a data file created by the program

I need a key that allows me to
    create a "data.txt" file and if the file exist to overwrite it by erased etc.. doesn't matter and put in the things as

printf(" Toll = %e \m Norm = %e", toll, norm);

and just exit the program

i know it's coded in C... but that's all i know
    anyhow if i can code in C or C++ doesnt' matter also could you tell me what library i can use.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2004 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: C++

Hi omgitsroy

I don't have my C++ book on me, so the syntax may be a bit off.

Code (Text):

#include <fstream> // File operations

ofstream output("data.txt" , ios::out) ; //Opens a file object 'output' to file "data.txt"
                                             //for output, overwrites if existing

output<<"Toll = "<< toll <<"\m  Norm = "<< norm << endl; //Outputs to file just like 'cout' command

I don't remember how to explicitly close the file, but I don't think it's really necessary unless your program is complex. Formatting can be done with standard i/o commands.

Hope that's all correct...

4. Jan 21, 2004 #3
    thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?