Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C Programming Compiler

1. Mar 20, 2009 #1
    Hi,

At university we are using the Borland C++ 5.5 compiler, however, this does not work on Vista, which my home computer has.

I was therefore wondering what C program compiler everyone would recommend which works on Windows Vista?

Thanks,

Luke.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Mar 20, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply. Downloading now...

5. Mar 25, 2009 #4
    You could also download Cygwin and use g++/gcc. Pair that with XEmacs or Notepad++ and you're in business.

http://www.cygwin.com/

6. Mar 25, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just for the archives.
    If you want a Unix experience c compiler on Windows you should also look at http://www.mingw.org/ it's the same GCC+Gnu tools but calling the windows libs directly rather than through the cygwin->unix compatibility libs.

7. Mar 25, 2009 #6
    I use the C++ express for all of my projects. Very trustworthy compiler.

Matt

8. Mar 26, 2009 #7
    I've always used Dev-C++ to compile, and Notepad++ for the actual writing of code.

9. Mar 26, 2009 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Your university is using a nine-year-old compiler?!?!?! :bugeye:

10. Mar 26, 2009 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Until the free edition of VS came out it was about the only free IDE on windows.
    C (rather than c++) hasn't changed much in 9 years and at the time Borland was a lot better than Microsoft (MSV6 argh) for standards compliance.

11. Mar 29, 2009 #10
    The full version of VS is available for all students. All you need is a valid .edu email.

12. Apr 2, 2009 #11
    That's a nice strategy.

What about programming resources in Linux or BSD?, there is Vim, Emacs or the KDE & GNOME IDEs but I'm not sure about them. Any suggestions please?

13. Apr 3, 2009 #12
    It's been a couple years since I used Linux, but when I did I was happy with Kdevelop.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook