1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C programming resources

1. Jul 10, 2006 #1
    Hi, does anyone know of any websites which I can access to obtain the necessary files for me to able to create, compile and run C programs? I really need some programming practice and reading my textbook won't be enough. So any help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

I've used Pacific C in the past for simple stuff, and it's available as a free download:

BTW, to find that previous pointer, I googled pacific c free download, and got lots of related hits for other compilers. Maybe try that google to see if any of the others interest you.
  4. Jul 10, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're running Windows, my advice is to download Cygwin. The default install includes both gcc and mingw.

If you're interested in an integrated development environment, I suggest DevC++.

- Warren
  5. Jul 11, 2006 #4
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.
  6. Jul 27, 2006 #5
    Get a linux distribution! Full of programming stuff like that. You don't even really have to re-install your system if you want -- you could get a Linux distribution that boots off a cd (google for Knoppix)! Compiling and running C code is part of the OS!

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

7. Aug 9, 2006 #6
    Not sure if you are still looking, but I encountered the exact same issue not long ago. I did my research and ended up going with Microsoft Visual Studios (or Visual C++) it includes everything you need, the IDE and compilers and everything. I know the name says Visual C++ but it is not limited to C++ programming, it works great for C as well (which is what I'm programming in).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?