1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C programming with interrupts

1. Jan 3, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone~

I think that I have used polling here where I shouldn't have done. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Code (Text):

#include "p18f8722.h"
    #include "timers.h"

void configure_PB2_interrupt (void);
        void enable_global_interrupts(void);
        unsigned char PB2_pressed (void);
        void isr (void);

volatile unsigned char int_occured = 0;

#pragma code vector=0x08      
        void vector (void){
            _asm
            GOTO isr
            _endasm
        }
        #pragma code

void main (void){
            ADCON1  = 0x0F;
            TRISB   = 0xFF;
            TRISF   = 0x00;

configure_PB2_interrupt();

while (1){
                while (!int_occured){
                        ;
                    }
                int_occured = 1;
                if (PORTBbits.RB0 == 1){
                    LATF = 0x00;
                    }  
                }          
            }

void configure_PB2_interrupt (void){
            INTCONbits.GIE  = 1;
            INTCONbits.INT0IE   = 1;
            INTCON2bits.INTEDG0 = 0;
        }

#pragma interrupt isr
         void isr(void){
            INTCONbits.INT0IF = 0;
            LATF = 0x01;
            int_occured = 1;
        }

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2013 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Is the code working (is your interrupt routine getting called) ? I haven't seen the "goto" syntax you're using in vector before (is goto an assembler macro?). Normally you'd have to get the address of your interrupt routine (pointer to function) and store it in the memory location used to branch to interrupt 8. There may be a library function that does this for you.

You could put more of the code in the interrupt routine, but unless this is a multi-tasking operating system, polling for the interrupt flag isn't going to cause problems, and there's nothing else to do. You could use a sleep() in the main polling loop, but again, there aren't any other tasks running unless you have a multi-tasking operating system.

4. Jan 3, 2013 #3

lewando

Gold Member

You should explain what you want this code to do an what it is actually doing. I see you setting int_occured to 1 in the ISR. Should you be clearing it to 0 somewhere?

5. Jan 4, 2013 #4
    The code is supposed to be run on a pic18f8722. When one of the pushbuttons is pressed, then an interrupts should be generated. I am mainly worried about the polling. I shouldn't be doing this I don't think. I wrote this a few months ago and now I am looking I am confused at what I was doing! Is there another way that I could do this so that I am not polling the flags? My while loop looks very iffy since I got the polling which I am not sure if it defeats the objects of the interrupts, also I have the volatile variable in there too and it doesn't seem necessary. The friend I wrote it with is convinced it is fine since it did the task it was supposed to......

The asm bit it fine I think -just something we have been taught to use- it is assembly language. Thanks for your help!

6. Jan 4, 2013 #5

rcgldr

Homework Helper

The polling for the interrupt flag is probably ok. You don't show the code for the main routine, so I'm not sure what the purpose of this program is.

If you wanted to run a series of functions from the interrupt routine (a different function with each interrupt), you could use a pointer to function (pfisr in this example) and update it as needed:

Code (Text):

typedef void (* PFISR)(void);

static void isr0(void);
    static void isr1(void);
    static void isr2(void);

static volatile PFISR pfisr;

main()
    /* .. */
        pfisr = isr0;

isr()
    /* .. */
        (*pfisr)();

isr0()
        pfisr = isr1;
    /* .. */

isr1()
        pfisr = isr2;
    /* .. */

isr2()
        pfisr = isr0;
    /* .. */

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  7. Jan 4, 2013 #6

nsaspook

Science Advisor

The 'volatile' is a hint to the compiler not to optimize out a variable that changes outside of normal program flow (in the ISR).

The asm goto is to move the start of the ISR code out of the high/low vector area. It's not really needed if you only have a high pri ISR but if you do have high and low vectors putting code directly at the vector would limit the size of the high ISR before it would overrun the low vector address.

0008H high
    0018H low

8. Jan 4, 2013 #7
    Using interrupts means that polling doesn't have to be used which ties up the processor repeatedly checking. Maybe it is different polling the interrupt flag....Is there any other way of writing the program to NOT include the polling there?

9. Jan 4, 2013 #8

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Yes, if you put all the code in the interrupt handler(s). The example I posted above shows how to have the interrupt call a different function each time an interrupt occurs, so that you can step through a sequence of functions, one per interrupt.

Still there's the issue that the main program doesn't have anything else to do, so it's just going to be looping anyway, unless there's a useful sleep() or waitforevent() (normally used by multi-threaded operating systems) type function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook