Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C programming

1. Dec 14, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    Can someone explained me something.
    I need a software to program in C (++) language.
    I would like to know which software to download / buy:

Microsoft Visual C OR Visual studio or they are the same?

Can you explained me what to do?

Thank you
    B

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2005 #2
    What kind of programming are you doing? I imagine that if you're asking, this isn't major professional work. Is it for class? If so, there are several free compilers and IDEs out there that would save you a sweet couple of hundred bucks over buying either of those.

4. Dec 14, 2005 #3

-Job-

Science Advisor

I have MS Visual Studio .net 2003, and it allows you to code in many languages, VB, J#, C# and of course C++. MS Visual C++ is a subset of MS Visual Studio so both tools will allow you to do what you want, but you'll have more options/capabilities with Visual Studio which you may or may not need.
    That said, i recommend, if you are a student at some university, that you check with your department of Engineering. Many universities, through cooperation with Microsoft's MSDNAA, just give out free Microsoft software of which Visual Studio is an example (that's how i got my copy of it not to mention all my server software, talk about loading up :smile: ).
    By the way, do you want to program in C or C++?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  5. Dec 14, 2005 #4
    Yes it is for a class for next semester.
    I am trying to anticipate a little bit. Please can you give me some good free compilers and IDEs?

Thank you

B

6. Dec 14, 2005 #5

Personally I like Dev-C++, for either C or C++. Although as Job said you might want to check with your campus's Comp Sci department as you might be able to get Visual Studio for free. I know my campus doesn't have it, but we're 90% *nix systems in the Comp Sci department, all Solaris, Debian, and Fedora, so it would be rather useless to us.

You can get Dev-C++ here.

7. Dec 14, 2005 #6
    Yes, I am a student . As you suggested me, I am gonna check tomorrow on campus for MS free complilers. (I aslo waiting some online free compilers from Franznietzsche).

I wil begin with some C programming and then we will see some C++.

Thanks a lot

B.

8. Dec 14, 2005 #7
    Thanks a lot!!

9. Dec 14, 2005 #8
    if microsoft goes to your school besure to check it out they may give you free demo versions.

10. Dec 14, 2005 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

As a beginner I doubt you need an IDE. You could code in notepad if you wanted to. My school's Comp Sci department uses Linux/Unix and students need to ssh into the server and type their code in Pico or Vi and then compile with GCC. You could also write the code locally on your computer and sftp to the server and then compile it. The coding situation depends on the school you go to so it is best to ask the professor what you'll need.

11. Dec 15, 2005 #10

-Job-

Science Advisor

That's what i had to do as well.

12. Dec 15, 2005 #11
    gotta love turbo C editor =]

13. Dec 18, 2005 #12
    Visual Studio is a development enviroment (sort of like a super text editor whose specific use is in writing computer programs vs Word whose use in in general documents) that allows you to debug your code, create and organize projects with multiple source files, auto complete and indent, syntax highlighting etc. It is really good. Visual C++ is Microsoft's current version (2005) of C++ (compiler, linker etc) and its current implementation is arguably among the most standard's compliant compilers out there. I believe it has surpassed the gcc in that area now.

Also the new version of Visual C++ 2005, the express edition is free for the next year. Try it, its quite cool. :D

14. Dec 18, 2005 #13

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's funny. I used to use VC++ many moons ago and it was nothing but trouble. I have not doubt they they have fixed bugs but VC++ is nowhere near the level of capabilities of the GCC.

15. Dec 18, 2005 #14
    You underestimate microsoft then. You probably used Visual C++ 6.0 no? Well that version was only 60% standards compliant. The current incarnation, 8.0 (MSVC 2005) is at least over 98% compliant. Which is more that GCC 3.x which weighs in at ~95%. Do a search on boost regression tests, microsoft .net compiler standards compliance etc. to get an idea of how things have changed.

16. Dec 18, 2005 #15

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

1) Where are you getting your numbers from?
    2) GCC 4.x.x has been out for some time now. OSX 10.4 uses it and many others (KDE, Fedora, etc)

17. Dec 18, 2005 #16

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Watcom has another freebie compiler that is worthwile. Has a couple of quirks that are different from Microsoft.

18. Dec 18, 2005 #17
    i still use vc6.0 WOOHOO.

19. Dec 19, 2005 #18
    As early as VS2003, Microsoft had reached 98% compliance.
    http://boost.sourceforge.net/regression-logs/

20. Dec 19, 2005 #19

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

1) I'll take that 98% with a grain of salt. When has microsoft ever been looking to be standards compliant? Unless their goal is to muck up the standard with their own standards.

2) So what seeing in the regression logs? VC++ isn't even being tested.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?