Preventing Program Closure with Code: Solutions & Tips

In summary, to prevent the MS DOS window from closing quickly when executing a program, one can open the DOS window and execute the program from the command line. Alternatively, using getchar() or getch() commands can also prevent the window from closing. Another option is to use system("pause") or a loop to display something, and running the program from the command prompt can also solve this issue. Visual C++ automatically takes care of this problem.
LasTSurvivoR
I wrote my code and try to setup the program , desperately the program closes it so quickly return 0 or getch() commands doesn't work how can I prevent it with a code ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
ı mean the ms dos windows disappears so quickly..

Yes if you execute the program from within windows the DOS window closes when the program ends. You could just open a DOS window and then execute the program from the command line, that way the DOS window will stay open.

When characters are pressed they are placed in a buffer, and getch() will return the oldest character from the buffer, but if there is nothing in the buffer it will return ERR, I think (it depends on certain settings). But anyway you can use getchar(), that should work. It will wait until return is pressed.

You could put something like this at the end of your program:
Code:
printf("\npress q to quit\n");
do
{
  key = getchar();
} while (key != 'q');
or
Code:
printf("\npress q to quit\n");
do
{
  key = getch();
} while (key != 'q');

you can just put

getch()
or scanf()
to pause the prpogramme...
else do a loop from 1...n and display something.

in windows i use system("pause"); to prevent the window from disappearing. I don't really know if that is good way though.

Running your program from within the command prompt would also fix this problem.

This problem arises in a few compilers. I guess you are not using Visual C++ because if you are using Visual C++, it automatically takes care of this issue.

As others suggested you can simply use;

getchar();
getch();
system("PAUSE");

1. Why is it important to prevent program closure with code?

Preventing program closure with code is important because it ensures that your program runs smoothly without unexpected interruptions. This can save time and resources, and also improve the user experience.

2. What are some common causes of program closure?

Program closure can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as errors in the code, insufficient memory, or conflicts with other programs. It can also happen when the user closes the program manually or when there is a power outage.

3. How can I prevent program closure with code?

There are a few strategies you can use to prevent program closure with code. One approach is to use exception handling, which allows you to catch and handle errors in your code. Another method is to use memory management techniques to ensure that your program has enough resources to run smoothly. You can also use techniques like multi-threading to prevent conflicts with other programs.

4. What are some common solutions to prevent program closure?

Some common solutions to prevent program closure include using try/catch blocks for error handling, implementing a garbage collector for memory management, and using mutexes or semaphores for multi-threading. You can also regularly test and debug your code to identify and fix any potential issues.

5. Are there any tips for preventing program closure?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you prevent program closure. First, make sure to regularly test and debug your code to catch any errors before they cause program closure. Additionally, use good coding practices such as commenting your code and using descriptive variable names to make it easier to identify and fix issues. You can also consider implementing a backup plan, such as saving user data periodically, in case of unexpected closures.