Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C++ software

1. Jul 29, 2007 #1

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi!

I want to learn C++. I know some java..

I was wondering what kind of software i need to do C++ on my computer, I have Windows vista premium.

Does it exists software equvalent to BlueJ to C++ ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2007 #2
    To make programs, you need a C++ compiler; any will do for learning purposes. There are tons of them out there, but not all are free. I used Borland's Dev-C++ for a while, but later got Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 from my university. Others can recommend their preferred compilers. You can do a simple Google search for free C++ compilers and try them out until you find a good one. Find a good C++ book or tutorial (I believe there is one here on PF) and practice, practice, practice. It really is a great language and is very powerful. Good luck!

4. Jul 29, 2007 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay thanks alot =)
    I have access to many tutorials on C++, but couldn´t seem to find information about the software needed to start programming ;)

5. Jul 29, 2007 #4
  6. Jul 29, 2007 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Microsoft have free "express" versions of their development enviroments.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/features/

The compiler has the same C++ standard as their professional products and the IDE is nice of you come from Java.
    If (unlikely) you prefer a command line interface look at http://www.mingw.org/ which is a port of the excellent gnu GCC compiler on windows.

7. Jul 29, 2007 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?