Generating Coordinates for Silver Atoms in C and Fortran

In summary, the C code generates coordinates for silver atoms, while the Fortran code does the same. The C code uses double, while the Fortran code uses real. The C code declares x, y, and z as 1000-element arrays, while the Fortran code declares x, y, and z as 180-element arrays. There is a variable N in the C code that is initialized like this: (I have no idea why that 1 appears at the right end.), but there isn't a variable N in the Fortran code.
teqnick
Hello
Could anyone help me rewrite following C code to Fortran code? It generates coords for sc silver atoms.

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>

int main(void) {
	int
		i, j, k,
		n = 0;
	double
		A = 4.08,
		L_X = 20.0,
		L_Y = 20.0,
		L_Z = 15.0;
	int
		iMax = ceil(L_X/A),
		jMax = ceil(L_Y/A),
		kMax = ceil(L_Z/A),
		N = (iMax + 1) * (jMax + 1) * (kMax + 1) * 1;
	const int
		NN = 1000;
	double x[NN], y[NN], z[NN];

FILE* fileOut = fopen("Zad-VI.txt", "w");
	FILE* fileOut2 = fopen("Zad-VI.xyz", "w");

for(k = 0; k <= kMax; k++) {
		for(j = 0; j <= jMax; j++) {
			for(i = 0; i <= iMax; i++) {
                x[n] = (i + 0.0) * A;
                y[n] = (j + 0.0) * A;
                z[n] = (k + 0.0) * A;

n++;
            }
        }
    }

fprintf(fileOut, "# atomN x y z\n");
	for(i = 0; i < N; i++) {
		fprintf(fileOut, "%d %f %f %f\n", i + 1, x[i], y[i], z[i]);
	}

fprintf(fileOut2, "%d\n", N);
	fprintf(fileOut2, "atomName x y z\n");
    for(i = 0; i < N; i++) {
		fprintf(fileOut2, "%s %f %f %f\n", "Ag", x[i], y[i], z[i]);
    }

fclose(fileOut);
	fclose(fileOut2);

return 0;
}

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
What do you have so far and where are you stuck?

So far I've got this, but it gives me wrong values

Code:
PROGRAM SC

integer :: i, j, k
integer :: n = 0
REAL :: A = 4.08
REAL :: L_X = 20.0
REAL ::	L_Y = 20.0
REAL :: L_Z = 15.0
INTEGER :: N
INTEGER :: iMax
INTEGER :: jMax 
INTEGER :: kMax 

REAL, DIMENSION(180) :: x
		REAL, DIMENSION(180) :: y
			REAL, DIMENSION(180) :: z

OPEN (UNIT=1, FILE='out.xyz', STATUS='REPLACE', ACTION='WRITE', DECIMAL='POINT')

iMax = ceiling(L_X/A)
jMax = ceiling(L_Y/A)
kMax = ceiling(L_Z/A)

WRITE(*,*) imax, kmax, jmax
    k1: DO k = 1, kmax , 1
		j1:	DO j = 1, jmax, 1
			i1:	DO i = 1, imax, 1
                x = (i + 0.0) * A
                y = (j + 0.0) * A
                z = (k + 0.0) * A

n=n+1
END DO i1
END DO j1
END DO k1

WRITE(1,200) x, y, z 
		  200 FORMAT (3F10.3) 

END PROGRAM SC

I'm not sure this is your problem, but in your fortran code you are using real where the C code uses double. The double type in C is 8 bytes, and I believe real in fortran defaults to 4 bytes. To get a better match, use real*8 for all the variables that are declared as double in the C code.

This code should be very easy to port from C to Fortran if you do exactly the same thing in Fortran that the C code is doing. Unfortunately, your Fortran code departs from what the C code is doing.

For example, in the C code, x, y, and z are 1000-element arrays, but in your Fortran code, each of these is a 180-element array.

Also, there is a variable N in the C code that is initialized like this:
N = (iMax + 1) * (jMax + 1) * (kMax + 1) * 1;
(I have no idea why that 1 appears at the right end.) You don't have this in your Fortran code.

U aren't really helping, you just stated the obvious. There is only 180 atoms in sc lattice so there is no need for using 1000 array. There is nothing wrong with REAL declarations.
Also I have no idea what that variable N does in the program. (I have not written that C code, and do not fully understand the C language)

fortran:
x = (i + 0.0) * A
y = (j + 0.0) * A
z = (k + 0.0) * A

you multiply whole array. i guess it should be x(n), y(n), z(n).. (?)

teqnick said:
U aren't really helping, you just stated the obvious. There is only 180 atoms in sc lattice so there is no need for using 1000 array.
There isn't much in either program that is obvious. There's not a single comment in either program to help a reader understand what the program is trying to do.

I made a comment about the 1000-element arrays and 180-element arrays because I have no knowledge about how many atoms are in an sc lattice (or even what an sc lattice is). There are lots of "magic" numbers such as 4.08, 15.0, and 20.0 whose purpose is a complete mystery to me.
teqnick said:
There is nothing wrong with REAL declarations.
Maybe or maybe not. The person who wrote the C code thought that 8-byte floating point precision should be used, but you have decided that using 4-byte precision is enough. If you need more than 7 decimal places of precision, that smaller data type can make a difference.
teqnick said:
Also I have no idea what that variable N does in the program.
Nor do I. There's also a variable named n that is used in the C version that you don't have.

teqnick said:
(I have not written that C code, and do not fully understand the C language)

Pinčiukas said:
fortran:
x = (i + 0.0) * A
y = (j + 0.0) * A
z = (k + 0.0) * A

you multiply whole array. i guess it should be x(n), y(n), z(n).. (?)

Yes of course, but I do not now how to write it in fortran. That why i put it on that forum.

I know where most of the mistakes are, but i do not now how to make it work.

The mysterious N variable defines the number of atoms in simple cubic silver lattice, with is 180 so I put an array of the size of 180 instead of N. The L_X, L_Y, L_Z are size of lattice.

Corrected code is below but it still gives me wrong values.

Code:
PROGRAM SC

integer :: n = 1

OPEN (UNIT=1, FILE='out.xyz', STATUS='REPLACE', ACTION='WRITE', DECIMAL='POINT')

iMax = ceiling(L_X/A)
jMax = ceiling(L_Y/A)
kMax = ceiling(L_Z/A)

j1: DO j = 1, jmax, 1
			i1: DO i = 1, imax, 1

x(n) = (i + 0.0) * A
                y(n) = (j + 0.0) * A
                z(n) = (k + 0.0) * A

n=n+1

END DO i1
END DO j1
END DO k1

WRITE(1,200) x, y, z 
		  200 FORMAT (3F10.3) 

END PROGRAM SC

You are still confused about what data type the variables x, y, z are. Each of them is an array, not a single value. If you want to display all the values of these variables, you'll need to use a loop, something like this:
Code:
DO i=0, n
  WRITE (1, 200) x(i), y(i), z(i)
END DO
200 FORMAT (F10.3, 2X, F10.3, 2X, F10.3)
I changed the format statement to add a couple of spaces between successive numbers on a line.

Also, the C code starts off with n = 0, but your code starts off with n = 1. This might make a difference when you get you fortran code running.

Additional comments
1. I don't see any purpose in adding 0.0 as is done in the body of your nested loop. These statements could be written more simply, like this, and should produce the same values.
Code:
     x(n) = i * A
     y(n) = j * A
     z(n) = k * A

2. I find the C code and your FORTRAN code a little difficult to read, due to the random indentation in both. Here is my version of your code, with what I think is more reasonable indentation.
Code:
PROGRAM SC

integer :: n = 1

iMax = ceiling(L_X/A)
jMax = ceiling(L_Y/A)
kMax = ceiling(L_Z/A)

j1: DO j = 1, jmax, 1
    i1: DO i = 1, imax, 1
        x(n) = i  * A
        y(n) = j  * A
        z(n) = k * A
        n=n+1
    END DO i1
  END DO j1
END DO k1

DO i=0, n
  WRITE (1, 200) x(i), y(i), z(i)
END DO
200 FORMAT (F10.3, 2X, F10.3, 2X, F10.3)

END PROGRAM SC

1. How do you generate coordinates for silver atoms in C and Fortran?

To generate coordinates for silver atoms in C and Fortran, you can use a random number generator to create a set of coordinates within a specified range. This can be done by using the rand() function in C or the RAND() function in Fortran. You can then use these coordinates to create your silver atoms.

2. What is the purpose of generating coordinates for silver atoms in C and Fortran?

The purpose of generating coordinates for silver atoms in C and Fortran is to create a visual representation of the atoms in a computer program. This allows scientists to study and analyze the behavior of the atoms in a simulated environment.

3. How do you ensure that the coordinates for silver atoms are accurate?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to use a reliable random number generator and to specify a suitable range for the coordinates. It is also helpful to run multiple simulations with different sets of coordinates to compare and validate the results.

4. Can the coordinates for silver atoms be used for other elements?

Yes, the same method for generating coordinates for silver atoms can be used for other elements as well. The only difference would be the specific properties and ranges needed for each element.

5. Are there any limitations to generating coordinates for silver atoms in C and Fortran?

The main limitation is that the coordinates are generated randomly, which may not accurately reflect the real-life arrangement of silver atoms. Additionally, the simulation may not accurately capture all possible interactions and behaviors of the atoms. It is important to keep these limitations in mind when interpreting the results of the simulation.