C vs C1 Continuous: Understanding Derivatives

• Thread starter Susanne217
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary, according to the textbook at hand, a function f is continuous if there exists a neighborhood of each point x in V such that F(x) is continuous. This means that for all x in V, there exists a function g such that g(x) = F(x). The derivative of f at x is also continuous, meaning that there exists a function h such that h(x) = f(g(x)).
Susanne217

Homework Statement

Let F be a function defined on a open set E where [tex]E \in V[/tex]. F is said to be continuous at each point [tex]x \in V[/tex]. Which according to my textbook at hand can be written as [tex]F \in \mathcal{C}(E)[/tex]

But the expression [tex]F \in \mathcal{C}^{1}(E)[/tex] is that equal to saying that F have first order derivatives defined on the set E?

Physics news on Phys.org
More than that. [tex]F \in \mathcal{C}^{1}(E)[/tex] says that F has a continuous first derivative. For example, f(x)= |x| is continuous in any neighborhood of x= 0 but not differentiable at x= 0 so [tex]f \in \mathcal{C}^{1}(E)[/tex] but f is not in [tex]\mathcal{C}^{1}(E)[/tex]. A slightly more complicated example is [tex]f(x)= x^2sin(1/x)[/tex] if x is not 0, f(0)= 0. It is fairly easy to show that f is continuous in any neighborhood of x= 0 and, in fact, that it has a derivative for all x, including x= 0, but the derivative function is not continuous at x= 0.

Thank you Mr. Hall,

I have a follow-up question.

Let say we have autonomous differential equation

[tex]x' = f(x)[/tex] and that we have an open set [tex]E \subset \mathbb{R}[/tex] and that [tex]f \in \mathcal{C}^1(E)[/tex]. We then assume that (I,x) is a solution to the diff-eqn also that [tex]x(t_1) = x(t_2)[/tex] where [tex]t_1, t_2 \in I[/tex] and that [tex]t_1 < t_2[/tex]

Show for n = 1 that y is a constant solution.

I know from the definition of f that it has first derivatives on E and that E is open. And since from the definition of the solution to a diff.eqn that [tex]I \subset \mathbb{R}^n[/tex]. Since I is considered to be a subset of [tex]R[/tex] and that E is also a subset of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] for n = 1.

Then here is my questions:

1) Do I need to show that f also has derivatives on I?

2) I can't well assume that since f has derivatives on a subset of R then if f's domain consistets of both of R and E. Can this domain be seen a as closed set? And I then assume by Rollo's theorem that there exists some value on f's domain, [tex] t_3 [/tex]. Where if x is a solution of f, and then [tex]x'(t_1) = f(x(t_1)) = x'(t_2) = 0[/tex] and then [tex]x'(t_3) = f(x(t_3))= 0[/tex] and than the solution x is constant?

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between C and C1 continuous?

C continuous refers to a function that is continuous everywhere. This means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the function. C1 continuous, on the other hand, refers to a function that is continuously differentiable. This means that not only is the function continuous, but its derivative is also continuous.

2. What is the significance of C1 continuous in calculus?

C1 continuous functions are important in calculus because they allow us to find derivatives for all points in the function, not just at certain points. This allows us to better understand the behavior of the function and make more accurate calculations.

3. Can a function be C continuous but not C1 continuous?

Yes, a function can be C continuous but not C1 continuous. This means that the function is continuous everywhere, but its derivative has a discontinuity at some point. An example of this is the absolute value function, which is continuous but not differentiable at x=0.

4. How can we determine if a function is C1 continuous?

To determine if a function is C1 continuous, we can take the derivative of the function and check if it is continuous. If the derivative is continuous, then the function is C1 continuous. Another way to check is by looking at the graph of the function and checking for any sudden changes or breaks.

5. Why is it important to understand C vs C1 continuous in calculus?

Understanding the difference between C and C1 continuous is important in calculus because it allows us to better understand the behavior of a function and make more accurate calculations. It also helps us to determine if a function is differentiable at a certain point and to find the derivative of the function at that point.