1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C vs C1 continuous

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let F be a function defined on a open set E where [tex]E \in V[/tex]. F is said to be continuous at each point [tex]x \in V[/tex]. Which according to my textbook at hand can be written as [tex]F \in \mathcal{C}(E)[/tex]

But the expression [tex]F \in \mathcal{C}^{1}(E)[/tex] is that equal to saying that F have first order derivatives defined on the set E?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

More than that. [tex]F \in \mathcal{C}^{1}(E)[/tex] says that F has a continuous first derivative. For example, f(x)= |x| is continuous in any neighborhood of x= 0 but not differentiable at x= 0 so [tex]f \in \mathcal{C}^{1}(E)[/tex] but f is not in [tex]\mathcal{C}^{1}(E)[/tex]. A slightly more complicated example is [tex]f(x)= x^2sin(1/x)[/tex] if x is not 0, f(0)= 0. It is fairly easy to show that f is continuous in any neighborhood of x= 0 and, in fact, that it has a derivative for all x, including x= 0, but the derivative function is not continuous at x= 0.
  4. Sep 13, 2010 #3
    Thank you Mr. Hall,

I have a follow-up question.

Let say we have autonomous differential equation

[tex]x' = f(x)[/tex] and that we have an open set [tex]E \subset \mathbb{R}[/tex] and that [tex]f \in \mathcal{C}^1(E)[/tex]. We then assume that (I,x) is a solution to the diff-eqn also that [tex]x(t_1) = x(t_2)[/tex] where [tex]t_1, t_2 \in I[/tex] and that [tex]t_1 < t_2[/tex]

Show for n = 1 that y is a constant solution.

I know from the definition of f that it has first derivatives on E and that E is open. And since from the definition of the solution to a diff.eqn that [tex]I \subset \mathbb{R}^n[/tex]. Since I is considered to be a subset of [tex]R[/tex] and that E is also a subset of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] for n = 1.

Then here is my questions:

1) Do I need to show that f also has derivatives on I?

2) I can't well assume that since f has derivatives on a subset of R then if f's domain consistets of both of R and E. Can this domain be seen a as closed set? And I then assume by Rollo's theorem that there exists some value on f's domain, [tex] t_3 [/tex]. Where if x is a solution of f, and then [tex]x'(t_1) = f(x(t_1)) = x'(t_2) = 0[/tex] and then [tex]x'(t_3) = f(x(t_3))= 0[/tex] and than the solution x is constant?
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook