Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C++ work

1. Feb 18, 2007 #1
    I am learning c++ at what I would consider a fast rate. Having took Qbasic years ago everything came into place pretty quick but I'm slowing down in the functions part. I am picking it up though. I know variables, calculations, arrays, logic, and loops.

What I am looking for is a website with a bunch of good problems to test my skill and get me going. Reading it and making crappy examples from my head doesn't do justice to good hard problems.

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2007 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

have you worked with classes?

4. Feb 18, 2007 #3
    I'm going off of the C++ for dummies book and also some stuff of the internet if i can find it. This book shows classes on chapter 21 while I'm on chapter 6-7.

5. Feb 18, 2007 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

okie dokie, that can wait. Have you studied pointers?

6. Feb 18, 2007 #5
    That would be chapter 8 which is next. If you have any stuff with pointers in it just post them. I'm sure in 2-3 days I will have arrays and functions down and be able to move on.

Thanks

7. Feb 19, 2007 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Feb 19, 2007 #7

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Feb 19, 2007 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you heard of the Monty Hall problem?

"A TV host shows you three numbered doors (all three equally likely), one hiding a car and the other two hiding goats. You get to pick a door, winning whatever is behind it. Regardless of the door you choose, the host, who knows where the car is, then opens one of the other two doors to reveal a goat, and invites you to switch your choice if you so wish. Does switching increases your chances of winning the car?"

If you want a little project, you could write a simulation.

10. Feb 19, 2007 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could also take a look at this site from my school:
    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~wittman/10a.1.07w

There are homework assignments with solutions and practice exams there.

(I think this guy really, really likes Lord of the Rings!):tongue2:

11. Feb 20, 2007 #10
    I have no idea what can OP learn from writting the program in c++ for these sorts of a problemS (perhaps nothing except playing with words is far from being conditional probability) but here is the equivalent problem considering a coin tossing I saw recently:
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    A box contains two coins.
    One coin is heads on both sides and the other is heads on one side and tails on the other.One coin is selected from the box at random and the face of one side is observed.If the face is heads what is the probability that the other side is also heads?

_______________________________________________________________________________

To OP:Learning the syntax is the last thing good programmer should be concerned with.Most of the things what you can do in Basic,Fortran or Pascal you can do also in c.Depending on type of the problem you are dealing with ,written code may be just longer or shorter[*].IMO,dynamic programming side is the most important thing by far.

EDIT:
    Example for [*]:http://math.scu.edu/~dsmolars/ma61/notesrev.html
    And if you want some good problems that aren't trivial just say.I can invent them for you :smile:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  12. Feb 20, 2007 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's just a little project that could be done without things the OP has not studied yet. I think it would be fun (but hey, that's just me). Variations of the Monty Hall problem are sometimes discussed at PF: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=138952

13. Feb 21, 2007 #12
    He mentioned Qbasic and I assumed he wasn't a complete newby to programming .I wanted to stress some general principles of programming are more important than realization of code by concrete syntax of a language.That's my experience.IMHO,c++ is great for starters ,but I prefer UCSD Pascal and Turbo Pascal for mathematically loaded problems (it's not just matter of taste).
    What r u talking about? I estimate you a smart blonde Hardy.:smile:
    Thank you for the link.Didn't know that was discussed on PF before.
    It illustrates how translatations of problems from common language to the ˝language˝ of simple Bayes formula for a conditional probability can be troublesome sometimes.
    I gave the the tossing coins variant which in theory of probability represents, most likely, one of the most classical and widely studyed setups ,but still can confuse people. :biggrin:
    And when one gives example with goats,doors and cars , people just get completely lost :wink:

EDIT: Not a notewothy comment but maybe a concidence :
    http://free-zg.htnet.hr/jsribar/en/
    This the best book I've seen about c++ ,among many foreign books...
    Unfortunately ,I only have the Croatian version.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  14. Feb 21, 2007 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you:smile: I'm grateful to have the brilliant ones like you to look up to for advice. Keep on doing what you do, and helping us newbies to C++ out.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?