Understanding the Benefits of a C02 Tank for Tire Filling

• Thread starter Good4you
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tank Tire
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of C02 in filling up tires on a truck. C02 is preferred because it can store a larger volume of gas in a smaller tank and maintains a constant pressure regardless of how full the tank is. However, there are concerns about its permeability through rubber and the use of nitrogen or air as alternatives. The discussion also touches on the limitations of Boyle's law and the high pressures used in scuba tanks.
Good4you
I use a C02 tank to fill up the tires on my truck. C02 is used because it can store a larger volume of gas in a smaller tank than most other gases. But i have no idea why this would be true. I can actually fill all four 35" tires about four times flat to full with one 10# tank.

Nitrogen would be better because it could also charge my shocks, but from what i understand it would not hold as much. Also, i have heard that scuba tanks have to use insanely high pressures to keep a decent amount of air.

One reason i have heard is that C02 keeps a constant pressure in the tank regardless of how full it is, and the liquid C02 just boils off. And this seems to be true from the chart below. But wouldn't this violate Boyle's law?

Also, i assume Nitrogen or air isn't used because it takes more pressure to turn to a liquid at room temperature. Is that true?

co2pv.gif

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Boyle's law doesn't take into account phase transition, so there is no contradiction here - you are just beyond its applicability.

Scuba tanks operate around 200/300 atm. Whether it is insane or not - hard to tell :wink:

Carbon dioxide liquefies at relatively low pressure, so it can be kept as a liquid and doesn't require high pressures for that. This is not much different from LPG (autogas).

That's interesting. Using carbon dioxide for pumping tires can be easy, at the same time carbon dioxide has much higher permeability rate through the rubber than other gases.

1. What is a CO2 tank and how does it work?

A CO2 tank, or carbon dioxide tank, is a pressurized container filled with carbon dioxide gas. When connected to a tire filling device, the gas is released and fills the tire with air, increasing its pressure and allowing it to be used for various purposes such as inflating tires.

2. Why is using a CO2 tank for tire filling beneficial?

CO2 tanks provide a quick and efficient way to fill tires with air. They are also portable and can be easily transported to remote locations. Additionally, CO2 is a dry gas, meaning it will not introduce moisture into the tire, which can cause corrosion or damage.

3. Can anyone use a CO2 tank for tire filling?

Yes, CO2 tanks are safe and easy to use. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when handling and operating the tank. It is also recommended to have some basic knowledge about tire pressure and proper inflation techniques.

4. Are there any downsides to using a CO2 tank for tire filling?

One potential downside is the cost. CO2 tanks can be more expensive than traditional air compressors, but they also have a longer lifespan. Another consideration is the environmental impact, as CO2 is a greenhouse gas. However, many companies offer carbon offset programs to mitigate these effects.

5. Can a CO2 tank be used for other purposes besides tire filling?

Yes, CO2 tanks have various other uses, such as powering paintball guns, inflating sports equipment, and even providing carbonation for beverages. They can also be used in industrial and medical settings for cooling, freezing, and sterilizing. However, it is important to use the tank for its designated purpose and not attempt to modify or use it improperly.