Find, in terms of pi, the solutions of the equation sin5x + sin x = 0

In summary, The conversation is about a question regarding finding solutions of an equation involving pi. The suggested method is to use the Sin C + sin D formula. The interval given in the question is 0 >= x > pi, which may be interpreted as 0 is greater than x and x is greater than pi.
CathyLou
Hi.

Could someone please help me with the following C3 question? I would really appreciate any help as I am completely stuck at the moment.

Find, in terms of pi, the solutions of the equation sin5x + sin x = 0 for x in the interval 0 >= x > pi.

I wrote down that sin(3x + 2x) + sin x = 0 and that sin3xcos2x + cos3xsin2x + sin x = 0 but I am not sure where to go from here or if this is even the correct method.

Thank you.

Cathy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use the Sin C + sin D forumla. If you don't know how to derive it add sin(x+y) and sin(x-y) together, call x+y= A and x-y= B, then solve for x and y and resubst to get:

sin A + sin B= 2sin ((A+B)/2) x cos ((A-B)/2)

That should help you.

Your interval is 0 >= x > p which reads as 0 is greater than x and x is greater than pi, so 0 is greater than pi?

What is the equation that needs to be solved?

The equation that needs to be solved is sin5x + sin x = 0.

How many solutions are there to this equation?

There are infinitely many solutions to this equation.

Can the solutions be expressed in terms of pi?

Yes, the solutions can be expressed in terms of pi. For example, one solution is x = 0, which can be expressed as 0π. Other solutions can also be expressed in terms of pi, such as x = π/6, 3π/6, 5π/6, etc.

How can the solutions be found?

The solutions can be found by using the trigonometric identities, specifically the double angle formula for sine, to simplify the equation and then solving for x. Another method is to graph the equation and find the points where it intersects with the x-axis.

Are there any restrictions on the values of x?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x. Since sine is a periodic function, there are infinitely many values of x that satisfy the equation. However, typically solutions are only given within a certain range, such as 0 ≤ x ≤ 2π or -π ≤ x ≤ π.