1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C3 help

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1

Could someone please help me with the following C3 question? I would really appreciate any help as I am completely stuck at the moment.

Find, in terms of pi, the solutions of the equation sin5x + sin x = 0 for x in the interval 0 >= x > pi.

I wrote down that sin(3x + 2x) + sin x = 0 and that sin3xcos2x + cos3xsin2x + sin x = 0 but I am not sure where to go from here or if this is even the correct method.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2008 #2
    You have to use the Sin C + sin D forumla. If you don't know how to derive it add sin(x+y) and sin(x-y) together, call x+y= A and x-y= B, then solve for x and y and resubst to get:

sin A + sin B= 2sin ((A+B)/2) x cos ((A-B)/2)

That should help you.

Your interval is 0 >= x > p which reads as 0 is greater than x and x is greater than pi, so 0 is greater than pi?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?