C4 is a very versitile explosive

• Thread starter Arsonade
  • Start date
In summary, C-4 is a powerful explosive that is about 10% more energetic than TNT. It is difficult to set off with just a match, and only a detonator will do the job properly.
Arsonade
i would like to start this post by stating that i love america and would neeeeeeeeeeeeeever plot to blow up the white house

im just messing with you, don't worry lol

on to my question, i recogise that C4 is a very versitile explosive, there are others ( i know of a liquid form that boasts to be twice as powerfull but is shock sensitive),, but C4 is one of the strongest, my question is, how strong? i could find mesurements of force if i want to but i honestly don't know what these numbers translate to. what i am asking (this is going to sound cynical, don't worry i don't plan to blow anything up) is, for example, how much to blow up a car? somthing like that, from taht i can preaty much work out the rest, what would be the power of say a 2cm by 2cm cube of it? once again i cuold probably get the Newtons or exact force put out by these explosions, but i don't know what these numbers transalte into.

thanks for the help

Adam

P.S. i am working on somthing of an ultimate potato launcher, I am not building it though, where would i get C4 lol

Physics news on Phys.org
Arsonade said:
i would like to start this post by stating that i love america and would neeeeeeeeeeeeeever plot to blow up the white house

... boom goes London,* and boom Paris.
More room for you, and more room for me.
And every city the whole world round will just be another American town.
Oh, how peaceful it'll be;* we'll set everybody free;
You'll have Japanese kimonos, baby,* there'll be Italian shoes for me.
They all hate us anyhow, so let's drop the big one now.
Let's drop the big one now.

TNT (the standard) yields 4MJ/kg; C4 is about 10% more energetic; the limit for chemical explosives is around 5.

I know one, its called Nukes. I know another that no one knows ...

To make C-4 blocks, explosives manufacturers take RDX in powder form and mix it with water to form a slurry, if you are familiar with making powders, you've seen this a lot. They then add the binder material, dissolved in a solvent, and mix the materials with an agitator. They remove the solvent through distillation, and remove the water through drying and filtering. The result is a relatively stable, solid explosive with a consistency similar to modelling clay.

The explosive material in C-4 is cyclotrimethylene-trinitramine (C3H6N6O6), commonly called RDX (for "research development explosive"). The additive material is made up of polyisobutylene (the binder), and di(2-ethylhexyl) sebacate (the plasticizer [the element that makes the material malleable]). Polyisobutylene is a polymer of isobutylene, used chiefly in the manufacture of synthetic rubber. C4 also contains a small amount of motor oil and some 2-dimethyl, 3-dimethyl-2, 3-dinitrobutane (DMDNB), which functions as a chemical marker for security forces.

Just as with other explosives, you need to apply some energy to C-4 to kick off the chemical reaction. Because of the stabilizer elements, it takes a considerable shock to set off this reaction; lighting the C-4 with a match will just make it burn slowly, like a piece of wood (in Vietnam, soldiers actually burned C-4 as an improvised cooking fire). Even shooting the explosive with a rifle won't trigger the reaction. Only a detonator, or blasting cap will do the job properly. When the chemical reaction begins, the C-4 decomposes to release a variety of gases (mostly nitrogen and carbon oxides). The gases initially expand at about 26,400 feet per second (8,050 meters per second), applying a huge amount of force to everything in the surrounding area. At this expansion rate, it is totally impossible to outrun the explosion like they do in dozens of action movies. The explosion actually has two phases. The initial expansion inflicts most of the damage. It also creates a very low-pressure area around the explosion's origin. The gases are moving outward so rapidly that they suck most of the gas out from the middle of the explosion. After the outward blast, gases rush back into the partial vacuum, creating a second, less-destructive inward energy wave.

C4 Constitutes:
RDX - 91 percent
Di(2-ethylhexyl) sebacate - 5.3 percent
Polyisobutylene - 2.1 percent
Motor oil - 1.6 percent

To take the RDX out of C4, all you need is
Gasoline
C-4
Masons jars, one pint (2 each)
Paper towels
Wooden stirring rod
Teaspoon

PROCEDURE:
1. Place 10 grams of C-4 in the pint jar and
add one cup (240 milliliters) of gasoline.
2. Knead and stir the C-4 with the rod until the C-4 has
broken up. Allow to stand 1/2 hour.
3. Start the stirring again until a fine white powder
remains on the bottom of the container.
4. Filter the mixture out and wash the
solid left with 1/2 cup (120 milliliters)
of gasoline.
5. Air dry for several hours.

Anything else to say?

lol is that a song? never herd it

as for the rest of the info, thanks, ectly wat i wanted to know,

by the way, the 2X C4 substance is (just loked it up again) is Nitromethane and gunpowder mixed in, along with amonium nitrate

like i sed though, I am not planing on making this stuff, i just have a habit for designing weapons lol, this particular one shoots 80000 small rockets (about 4 by 4 cm) with a cone full of either C4 or this stuff, about 2cm^2 worth, along with a small blast cap out of the back of a 4 by 4 (m) pickup truck. looking at the facts, uit probably wouldn't work at all, not mentioning the fact that it's appplications would be nothing except gourilla (spelled very wrong, i know) tactics. ironically enough, I am a pacifist lol.

righto

Adam

1. What is C4 and how does it work?

C4 is a plastic explosive made of a mixture of plastic binder, RDX (a powerful explosive), and a plasticizer. It works by using the energy released from detonation to break down the chemical bonds in the RDX, creating a rapid and powerful explosion.

2. How is C4 different from other explosives?

C4 is unique in that it can be molded into different shapes and sizes, making it highly versatile. It is also more stable and less sensitive to shock and heat compared to other explosives, making it safer to handle and transport.

3. What are the main uses of C4?

C4 is commonly used in military operations for demolition, mining, and breaching obstacles. It is also used in controlled demolitions for buildings and other structures. Additionally, C4 is used in law enforcement for bomb disposal and breaching doors.

4. How powerful is C4 compared to other explosives?

C4 is one of the most powerful conventional explosives, with a detonation velocity of over 8,000 meters per second. It is more powerful than TNT and dynamite, but not as powerful as some military-grade explosives.

5. Is C4 safe to use and handle?

C4 is generally considered to be a safe explosive to use and handle. However, it should always be handled with caution and only by trained professionals. Accidental detonation can still occur if not handled properly, leading to serious injuries or death.