Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C60 Triple Point?

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    While looking up Buckminster Fullerene for kicks, I was surprised to find that there wasn't a melting/boiling point for it. I did some digging and found that in fact it doesn't melt, but it sublimes at 800 C. which I understand. However, what I couldn't find was some sort of phase diagram for it, and that was a little frustrating.

My question is, Does anyone know where I can find a phase diagram for C60? And if not, how would I go about making one? I know there isn't a set formula, but say I wanted to make my own phase diagram, where would I begin?

I know it's a little nerdy and probably irrelevant, but I find it interesting.

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

These things are best done experimentally, so the idea is simple - you take enough C60 to be able to observe its boiling point... :wink:

4. Nov 14, 2008 #3
    Ok, I get it, but what if I don't have access to a lab? Could I go medieval on it and calculate it? Looking around I'd say the answer is no, but in my experience, every question has an answer somewhere one the internet (this site has provided quite a few for me), and there has to be something out there with what I'm looking for, I'm just not typing the right key words.

Either way, thanks for the response.

5. Nov 15, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I doubt you will find anything. Perhaps there are some methods, based partially on experimental data and partially on some simplifications, but results of such calculations always require a great deal of caution.

6. Oct 19, 2009 #5
    replying to cdude 1034 on Nov 14 2008:

I don;t know if theis thread is still alive after nearly a year, but I'd like to hear more on this, and to contact cdude if hew wants.

The triple point of C60 was a question that popped into my mind soon after reading of the fullerenes, and it was using a good portion of my time after I got retail access to Internet May 1992.

The best I could find was about 50 bar and about 1700 C. I found no mention of attempts to melt it whether successful or not.

It's still on my mind, and still have found no reference to attempts, or conclusions that there is no TP (ie, decomposes first).

For what I'm mainly involved in, google "microlaunchers"

7. Sep 11, 2010 #6
  8. Sep 7, 2011 #7
    One year on and I am seeking the answer to this question also. Anyone?

9. Sep 7, 2011 #8
    Extensive experimental reports indicate that C60 "buckyballs" does not have a liquid phase. This should not discourage anyone from searching for the answer scientist have not discovered everything yet.

10. Sep 7, 2011 #9
    With some "light" reading I found that the phase change from rotatory(solid) to the ratchet (gas) phase occurs in about 6.8x10^-12 to 14.9x10^-11 seconds. At our current level of detection ability it would be unlikely to determine the triple point of C60 without a literal quantum leap forward technologically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?