Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CA Glues

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    Apparently, I heard CA glues were toxic while being warmed through hot glue guns. How long would an average human being survive if he were stuck in a closed room with his glue gun left one??? I'm just wondering based on safety measures...since I heard CA held cyanide, I was wondering what the effects would be when its melted.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wasn't aware cyanoacrylate glues were used in hot glue formulations. The vapors of cyanoacrylate contain a cyanide group in the structure but it is chemically unrelated to pure cyanide (if that is what you are asking). The vapors are very irritating to the eyes and airways however. ACGIH has set a threshold limit exposure value of 0.2 ppm which is the maximum recommended concentration allowed in an industrial environment.

4. Feb 27, 2008 #3

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

AFAIK there are no commercially available cyanocylate formulations for hot melt glue applications. They are all liquids of varying viscosities and drying times.

Which means, don't use homemade glue CA sticks in your hot melt gun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?