1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cable tension question

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1
    I have a locking device with a cable running through it (think of pieces of PVC pipe with a cable through them). I apply pressure and pull on one end of the cable tightening it and pulling the pieces together so I can lock it with a cam device. To lock it presently it requires 1200 psi (hydraulic pressure) applied to the cable (tension). There is a spacer block .994" long that I pull the cam lock past to get to 1200 psi. I need to increase the locking tension to between 1250 psi and 1400 psi. I need to determine the length of the new spacer. I intend to calculate this as a proportion since the cable, which is steel, I believe should have a constant spring coefficient. My calculation for my next move is as follows:

I plan to add a spacer that is an additional .085" in length making the overall spacer length 1.079"

.994"/1200 psi = 1.079"/X psi

X = 1.079"(1200 psi/.994")

X= 1302.615 psi

Does this make sense?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Assuming that everything is linear this makes sense. If we were talking about a rigid bar then since it is a low stress, you should definitely be in the linear range. I think you should end up close enough to what you want.

4. Nov 14, 2007 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The stress is negligible compared to the yield strength of steel. A linear approximation is appropriate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook