Cable Tensions & Forces Problem

In summary: The first equation is Tkx + Tax = 0. This equation requires the unknown angle to be solved for. The second equation is Tky + Tay - W = 0. This equation requires the unknown tensions to be solved for. You do not have a third equation, because you have two unknowns. Therefore, statics is not equilibrium and you cannot determine the angles and tensions without solving for them.
elbowgrease6

Homework Statement

Consider the two cables suspending a leg with a cast in the drawing. If the leg and cast weight 150 N, and the angle of the ankle cable is 60 degrees above the horizontal, what are the cable tensions and the angle of the knee cable from the horizontal such that the leg is supported?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it seems simple, but I don't know how to start it. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• cast.jpeg
    cast.jpeg
    5.8 KB · Views: 546
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the leg is not moving, you can write the equations of statics, knowing the weight of the leg + cast, the c.g. of the leg + cast, and the tensions in the support cables. You know the angle one cable makes with the horizon, and thus can determine what the components of the unknown tension must be. For the other cable, the angle is unknown and must be solved for.

I think that is where I have gone wrong. I have written several equations:

-Tkx + Tax = 0
Tky + Tay - W = 0

-Tk(cos theta) + Ta(cos 60) = 0
Tk(sin theta) + Ta(sin 60) -150 N = 0

I think my main confusion is, is there a y term for the tensions? Because they do not tell you how much above the center of mass both cables are tied. Thanks again.

Okay, I solved it.

Theta = 33.56 degrees
Ta= 280.9 N
Tk= 168.54 N

Could anybody check and see if those seem right?

Not even close. Although you have written equations dealing with the components of the tensions, you have neglected to write any moment equations. Remember, for static equilibrium, Sum(forces) = 0 AND Sum (moments) = 0.

hint: you must have as many equations as you have unknowns. Look at the two equations you gave. There are 3 unknowns; the angle and the two tensions. So you need at least one moment equation

1. What is the definition of cable tension?

Cable tension refers to the force exerted by a cable or wire when it is pulled taut. It is the result of the pulling forces acting on the cable from both ends, and it is measured in units of force such as pounds or newtons.

2. How do cable tensions affect structures?

Cable tensions are crucial for maintaining the stability and integrity of structures. When cables are properly tensioned, they can support heavy loads and prevent the structure from collapsing. However, if the tension is too low, the structure may become unstable, and if it is too high, the cables may break or cause damage to the structure.

3. What factors can impact cable tension?

There are several factors that can affect cable tension, such as the weight of the load being supported, the length and diameter of the cable, and the materials used to make the cable. Environmental factors like temperature and wind can also impact cable tension.

4. How is cable tension calculated?

Cable tension can be calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force being applied, and L is the length of the cable. Other variables, such as the angle of the cable and the modulus of elasticity of the material, may also need to be taken into account for more accurate calculations.

5. What are some common problems associated with cable tensions?

Some common problems that can arise from cable tensions include sagging cables, excessive vibrations, and uneven distribution of tension along the cable. These issues can lead to structural failures, so it is important to regularly monitor and adjust cable tensions as needed.