Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cable through metal

  1. Mar 25, 2006 #1
    My camera USB cable has this cylindrical container close to the end where the USB connects to the camera. When I opened it up, the cable was going through two holes in the metal. The metal wasn't perfectly black, and it wasn't smooth.
    What is that piece of metal for? I don't know much about electrical engineering.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2006 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    It's a ferrite choke, to kill high-frequency electromagnetic noise on the line. Arguably, they don't do much under normal circumstances.

    - Warren
  4. Mar 25, 2006 #3
    Thanks. I notice the same thing in other devices as well. Why isn't there one at the end close to the computer?
  5. Mar 27, 2006 #4


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    The choke presents a high common-mode impedance to any RF signals on the cable, so it effectively looks like a break in the line for RF common mode signals. RF common mode signals are what cause radiated electromagnetic interference (EMI), which shows up as noise on broadcast TV receivers and radio receivers. It usually doesn't matter where the "break" is placed in the line for EMI purposes (but not always).
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook