Solve Cable Torque Problem: Find Hcomponent Force on 23.8 kg Beam

In summary, the problem involves finding the horizontal component of the force exerted by a hinge on a beam attached to a wall and supported by a cable. Using torque and assuming a length of 2 meters for the beam, the tension in the cable was found to be 111.7 N. However, when trying to find the horizontal component of the force from the wall, an incorrect angle and trigonometric function were used. A careful analysis of the diagram and correct application of the equations is needed.
Jm4872

Homework Statement

A 23.8 kg beam is attached to a wall with a hinge and its far end is supported by a cable. The angle between the beam and the cable is 90°. If the beam is inclined at an angle of theta=30.7° with respect to horizontal, what is the horizontal component of the force exerted by the hinge on the beam? (Use the `to the right' as + for the horizontal direction.)

Homework Equations

t=fdsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for T using torque, however since there was no length of the beam given I assumed a length of 2 meters so that i could find tension using the equation :
-mg*1m*sin(30.7)+T*(2m)*sin90=0
T=111.7 N

Then I solved for the horizontal component of the force from the wall using the following equation :
-Tcos45+Hcomponent=0
therefore Hcomponent = Tcos45

And this is not right, can anyone explain to me what I've done wrong, I'm so confused ??

Physics news on Phys.org
-mg*1m*sin(30.7)+T*(2m)*sin90=0
T=111.7 N
It seems to me it should be cos(30.7) instead of sine.
The assumption of 2 m length does no harm - length cancels out anyway.

-Tcos45+Hcomponent=0
Why 45 degrees? Why cos? Carefully draw the diagram and carefully figure out that angle!

1. How do I calculate the torque on a cable?

The torque on a cable can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the cable by the distance from the point of application to the point of rotation.

2. What is the formula for finding the Hcomponent force on a beam?

The formula for finding the Hcomponent force on a beam is F = (m*g*sinθ)/cosθ, where m is the mass of the beam, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the beam and the horizontal axis.

3. What is the significance of the 23.8 kg mass in this problem?

The 23.8 kg mass represents the weight of the beam and will affect the overall torque and Hcomponent force on the beam.

4. What units should be used when solving this problem?

The units used will depend on the specific values given in the problem. However, common units for torque are Newton-meters (N*m) and for force are Newtons (N).

5. How can I determine which direction the Hcomponent force is acting on the beam?

The direction of the Hcomponent force can be determined by the angle θ. If the angle is positive, the Hcomponent force will act in the same direction as the beam. If the angle is negative, the Hcomponent force will act in the opposite direction of the beam.