1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Caclculus question

1. Jan 8, 2005 #1
    Calculus question...

I had this on a test yesterday, and for some reason it seems like it was way too simple.

A cone with a radius of 5 ft and height of 10 ft is being filled with water at a rate of 3 ft^3/min. Find the rate at which the height of the water is changing when the height is 7 ft.

So I have V=1/3 B * H, with the base being 25 pi, and dv/dt being 3 ft^3/min.

dv/dt=1/3(25 * pi * dh/dt)
    3=1/3(25 * pi * dh/dt)
    9=25 * pi * dh/dt
    dh/dt=0.1146 ft/min
    Is this correct? This is what I got the first time I did the problem, but I remember writing down my answer as 1.14 ft/min because that was the answer I got the second time I did it. It seems too simple, especially because this was worth twice as many points as any other problems on the test.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2005 #2
    The volume of a cone is:

v = 1/3 * pi * x^2 * y.
    v = 1/12 * pi * y^3

dv/dt = 3 ft^3 / min.
    We want to find dy/dt when y = 7.

dv/dt = 1/4* pi * y^2 * dy/dt

Hence dy/dt = (4/ pi*y^2 ) * dv/dt

When dv/dt = 3 and y = 7 gives

12/ 49pi whuch is approx 0.08 ft^2 / min

This may have been worth twice as much as the other problems because you had to use similar triangles to obtain x in terms of y. In this case,

x / y = 1/2

x = 1/2y.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  4. Jan 8, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]V(t)=\frac{1}{3}\pi r^{2}(t)h(t) [/tex] (1)
    Diff.wrt to time:

[tex] \frac{dV(t)}{dt}=\frac{\pi}{3}[2r(t)\frac{dr(t)}{dt}h(t)+r^{2}(t)\frac{dh(t)}{dt}] [/tex] (2)

At the moment "t":
    [tex] h=7;\tan\alpha=1/2 \Rightarrow r=7\tan\alpha=3.5 [/tex](3)
    [tex] r=h\tan\alpha \Rightarrow \frac{dr(t)}{dt}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{dh(t)}{dt} [/tex](4)

Plug (3) and (4) in (2) and find
    [tex] \frac{dV(t)}{dt}=\frac{\pi}{3}[2\cdot (3.5)\cdot 7\cdot\frac{1}{2}\frac{dh(t)}{dt}+(3.5)^{2}\frac{dh(t)}{dt}]\Rightarrow \frac{dh(t)}{dt}=\frac{3\frac{dV(t)}{dt}}{\pi[7\cdot (3.5)+(3.5)^{2}]}[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{3\cdot 3}{\pi(24.5+12.25)}=\frac{9}{\pi\cdot 36.75}\sim 0.08ft.s^{-1} [/tex] (5)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?