Help Me Understand Cadlag Modification of Levy Processes

• Thread starter Focus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a theorem from Stochastic Integration and Differential Equations by Protter, which states that every Levy process in law with continuity in probability admits a cadlag modification. The proof of this theorem is confusing and the person is seeking help to understand it better. They also mention a slight modification to the theorem and explain their approach to proving it.
Focus
I was reading Stochastic Integration and Differential Equations by Protter and it had a nice theorem that every Levy process in law which has continuity in probability, admits a cadlag modification. The proof is very confusing and I was wondering if anyone could help me clear it up a bit.

I wish to prove a slight modification, which is that the set
[tex]\{\omega : \not \exists \lim_{\mathbb{Q}\ni s\downarrow t}X_t(\omega) \quad t \geq 0 \}[/tex]
is measurable and has a measure zero. I have that X has stationary independent increments and is continuous in probability (also X starts at 0 a.s.). Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start by assuming that the set $\{\omega : \not \exists \lim_{\mathbb{Q}\ni s\downarrow t}X_t(\omega) \quad t \geq 0 \}$ is not measurable, which implies that it has a positive measure. Then, since X has stationary independent increments, we can use the strong law of large numbers to find that for some $N>0$ and $t\geq 0$, $$P\left(\frac{1}{N}\sum_{n=1}^{N}X_{t+n}-X_t>\epsilon\right) > 0$$for some $\epsilon>0$. However, this contradicts the fact that X is continuous in probability. Therefore, the set $\{\omega : \not \exists \lim_{\mathbb{Q}\ni s\downarrow t}X_t(\omega) \quad t \geq 0 \}$ must be measurable and have measure zero.

1. What is cadlag modification of Levy processes?

Cadlag modification of Levy processes is a mathematical technique used to modify a Levy process, which is a type of stochastic process that has jumps at random times. The modification involves making the process right-continuous and left-limited, meaning that it is continuous from the right and has a limit from the left at each point in time.

2. Why is it important to understand cadlag modification of Levy processes?

Cadlag modification of Levy processes is important because it allows for a more accurate representation of real-world processes that have jumps, such as stock prices or interest rates. It also has a wide range of applications in areas such as finance, economics, and physics.

3. How is cadlag modification of Levy processes different from other types of stochastic processes?

Cadlag modification of Levy processes differs from other types of stochastic processes in that it specifically addresses the issue of jumps, which are not typically accounted for in other processes. It also has unique properties such as infinite divisibility and stable distributions.

4. What are some practical examples of cadlag modification of Levy processes?

Some practical examples of cadlag modification of Levy processes include modeling stock prices, interest rates, and exchange rates. It is also used in option pricing, credit risk modeling, and insurance risk assessment.

5. Are there any limitations to cadlag modification of Levy processes?

While cadlag modification of Levy processes is a useful tool, it also has some limitations. It assumes that the process has a finite variation, meaning that the jumps cannot be too large. It also requires a certain level of mathematical expertise to understand and apply effectively.