Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Cadmium and neutrons

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1
    Hello guys !!! How are you ???
    So, I am a senior student and we're studying nuclear transformations.
    Well long story short our teacher tell us that in a nuclear reactor we make a surface with cadium to absorb the neutrons !!!
    And than a problem was created in my head !!! Please help !! I don't understand how this Cd "absorb " neutrons! ?
    Thank you and have nice day !!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The neutrons hit the cadmium nuclei and get absorbed. The new nucleus then emits a photon (or sometimes more) as it goes to its new ground state.

There is no need to use multiple exclamation and question marks everywhere, the forum will display a single one (and also a period) without any issues.

4. Dec 7, 2016 #3
    Oh sorry about it ...( :( )
    Actually the problem is that I don't understand this process of absorption is it a chemical reaction or what ?

5. Dec 7, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

It is a nuclear reaction as it happens in the nucleus. To understand it properly you'll need some quantum mechanics. Otherwise just imagine adding one more thing (a neutron) to an existing pile of other things (protons and neutrons in the cadmium nucleus).

6. Dec 7, 2016 #5

DrClaude

Senior in high school or college?

You know that the nucleus of an atom is made up of protons and neutrons? When a neutron hits the nucleus of some elements, it can "stick there," be absorbed.

7. Dec 7, 2016 #6
    Oh thank you It's clear now !!
    And yeah high school but not in usa I'm from Morocco

8. Dec 7, 2016 #7
    I am in high school but not in usa I am from Morocco

9. Dec 7, 2016 #8
  10. Dec 7, 2016 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted