Calculate Caffeine Molecular Formula: C8H10N4O2

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the molecular formula of caffeine, a stimulant commonly found in coffee, tea, chocolate, and medication. It is composed of 49.48% carbon, 5.15% hydrogen, 28.87% nitrogen, and 16.49% oxygen by mass and has a molar mass of 194.2. The solution uses the nitrogen rule, where an odd molar mass indicates an odd number of nitrogen atoms, to determine the formula to be C8H10N4O2.
chawki

Homework Statement

Caffeine, a stimulant found in coffee, tea, chocolate, and some medications,
contains 49.48% carbon, 5.15% hydrogen, 28.87% nitrogen, and 16.49% oxygen
by mass and has a molar mass of 194.2.

Homework Equations

Determine the molecular formula of caffeine.

The Attempt at a Solution

CxHyNzOn
12x/C% = 194.2/100% and we find x = 8
by the same method we do it for H, N and O and we find y=10, z=4, n=2
so the formula is C8H10N4O2

Plz tell me if i should add something to my solution in the beginning, like the name of this law, i forgot how we called it at college...

Physics news on Phys.org
You did this right.

Here's a cool trick; it may be useful in the future. It's called the "nitrogen rule" (or at least that's what we called it): if the molecule has a and odd molar mass, there is an odd number of nitrogen atoms in the structure (usually 1, but sometimes 3, 5, etc.). If it is even, there are either NO nitrogens or 2, 4, 6, etc.

ok wow, but how we call this law that i used in solution

What is the molecular formula for caffeine?

The molecular formula for caffeine is C8H10N4O2.

How do you calculate the molecular formula for caffeine?

The molecular formula for caffeine can be calculated by determining the number of each element present in the molecule and arranging them in the correct ratio. This can be done using the chemical structure of caffeine and basic chemical principles.

What are the elements present in the molecular formula for caffeine?

The molecular formula for caffeine contains 8 carbon atoms, 10 hydrogen atoms, 4 nitrogen atoms, and 2 oxygen atoms.

Is the molecular formula for caffeine different from its structural formula?

Yes, the molecular formula for caffeine (C8H10N4O2) and its structural formula (shown as a diagram of the arrangement of atoms) are different. The structural formula for caffeine is C8H10N4O2, but it contains additional information about how the atoms are bonded together.

Why is knowing the molecular formula for caffeine important?

The molecular formula for caffeine is important because it provides information about the chemical composition of the molecule. This information is useful for understanding the properties and behavior of caffeine, as well as for conducting further research and experiments on this compound.