Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Caffeine from coffee

1. Jul 9, 2007 #1
    I found this on the internet and was wondering if there was an easier way to extract the caffeine from coffee because this takes more time and equipment than i care to use is there any way i could do this at room pressure because last time i worked with pressurized stuff a seal broke and it shot hydrogen all over the room (not fun) i don't like setbacks like that especally when you have to scrounge for parts and what not i am on a very tight budget ($9)
    I have vinyl tubing, handy stuff to have, and an evaporating dish (glass ovenware). Ineed relatively pure caffeine (90% or purer)
    http://www.sweetmarias.com/decaf.co-2method.html
    No rush.
    Thanks a bunch

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2007 #2
    I was wondering the same thing too, but haven't tried it.

Not sure why I would want to. Just for the fun of it I guess.

I believe ethyl acetate is used for caffeine extraction in the industry. But I think it's for decaffinating cffee and I don't think it will yeild 90% caffeine.

I think ethyl acetate is only slightly soluble in H2O, so you might be able to do a water wash for purification.

Let me know what you find.

Good luck

Jim

P.S. I read your article...100 atmospheres is a little dangerous for home research.

4. Jul 11, 2007 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A simple caffeine experiment is performed every day. Use a drip coffeemaker and extract the coffee solution.

5. Jul 11, 2007 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Jul 14, 2007 #5
    250 atmospheres (read more)

Assuming you make coffee every day
    i need crystalline caffeine

7. Jul 14, 2007 #6
    any way i could make ethyl acetate?

8. Jul 14, 2007 #7
    ethyl acetate can be synthesized from a simple esterification reaction. all you need is ethanol and ethanoic acid as reagents. Conc. sulphuric acid will be needed as catalyst(a few drops only). and yes, you will have to perform this under reflux while heating the mixture.

9. Jul 14, 2007 #8
    The problem is, it is doubtful that JGM has pure ethanoic acid (glacial acetic acid). You can't use vinegar as a substitute because it is way too dilute for the Fischer esterification reaction. You could attempt to make your own glacial acetic acid from by distilling sodium acetate and sulfuric acid, but this is more trouble than it is worth.

A more accessible route would be to use nail polish removers as your source for ethyl acetate. Check the ingredients as some removers still use acetone.

Also, I believe dichloromethane used to be used for extracting caffeine from coffee but it has been abandoned due to its likely carcinogenicity.

10. Jul 15, 2007 #9
    any way of concentrating vinegar?

11. Jul 15, 2007 #10
    Also, this is a bit more complicated than it seems. You'll probably only get 80-90% acid with this method and will need to dry it out to get to glacial.

Why not just use ethyl acetate from nail polish removers like I already suggested?

12. Jul 16, 2007 #11

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why are you intending to use coffee then? Coffee only has about 1 to 1.5% caffeine by weight. Tea is much higher...

Why do you need caffeine in crystalline form?

13. Jul 16, 2007 #12
    i am doing an experement on willow trees and i want to see if caffiene effects their ability to root without the use of a rooting hormone or speeds it up ect.
    the willow tree roots really easily (i have gotten 1/2in long pieces to root, and grow)
    the contaminans, like sugars, in coffee may cause rotting, complications, false results, ect
    there is this mold that grows really easily on willow branches it is white and fuzzy, by chance would you know what it is called and why it grows on the willow when no other mold will

14. Jul 16, 2007 #13
    Maybe you could just buy some caffeine pills and extract the caffeine from them. Or is it required that it be from a natural source?

15. Jul 17, 2007 #14
    it isn't required that it be natural but i wanted it to be from a natural source before i tried the commercially sold stuff otherwise this thread wouldn't existhttp://www.unitednuclear.com/chem.htm

16. Jul 17, 2007 #15
    I have a reference describing the extraction of caffeine from tea with chloroform if you're interested.

17. Jul 19, 2007 #16
    no not really but anyway, where would i get chloroform (curious)?

18. Jul 20, 2007 #17
    Well you could probably easily substitute the procedure using ethyl acetate.

You can't by chloroform anymore. Easiest way is to make it with acetone and bleach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?