1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cakculating vectors

1. Sep 14, 2004 #1
    Please Help! I just don’t get it and I’ve been studying for hours.

Question :
    Knowing that Vectors C = (4x-1y-3z) meters and D=(2x-3y-5x) meters
    Determine
    a. S=C-D
    b. │S
    c. The Unitary vector in the direction of S

My Prof has given us a test one week after the first class and I just don’t get these study questions. I can add and multiply vectots but this stuff I just don’t get and there is noone to help.

If anyone out there can help you’ll really be appreciated

Pamela

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2004 #2
    I don't get your notation. What are the base-vectors describing the directions ???

Something like 6e_x + 7e_y. The e_x and e_y denote the x and y direction and these are the base-vectors. 6 and 7 are the components so this vector may also be written as (6,7).

When adding or substracting just add or substract all components per direction. So for example (7,8) - (1,1) yields (6,7) or 6e_x + 7e_y

Multiplying means multiply the components per direction and add up the outcomes: so this means (7,8)*(1,2) = 7*1 + 8*2 = 7+16=23

If you take the squareroot of this you get the length of a vector = sqrt(23) like your question b.

But first of all you need to know the components per direction. What are these j and m???
    Are you sure you got the notation right??? Just wondering

regards
    marlon

4. Sep 14, 2004 #3
    Changes

Thanks Marlon I made the changes by editing my post. Maybe now my question is easier to understant

Pamela

5. Sep 14, 2004 #4
    So you have (4,-1,-3) and (-3,-3,0)

I think you are able to continue right now. Just do what a answered in the first post

marlon

6. Sep 14, 2004 #5
    for example a would be (7,2,-3) or S =7x + 2y - 3z

regards
    marlon

7. Sep 14, 2004 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is more common to use i, j, and k where you are using x, y, z but I think I understand what you mean:

C = (4x-1y-3z) is what I would call 4i-1j-3k or, more simply just <4, -1, -3> where the basis vectors are understood to be in the x, y, z, directions.

So, C= <4, -1, -3> and D= <2, -3, -5>. Surely your text bood mentions early that vectors written in "component" form can be added and subtracted just by working with each "component" separately. S= C- D is simply <4- 2, -1-(-3),-3-(-5)> =
    <2, 2, 2>.

The length of a vector comes from the Pythagorean theorem: [itex]\sqrt{2^2+ 2^2+ 2^2}= \sqrt{12}= 2\sqrt{3}[/itex].

A "unitary" vector (I would say "unit" vector) in a given direction is a vector of length 1 in that direction. In particular, for any vector S, to find a unit vector in the same direction, just divide S by its length: S/|S| which is, again, done component by component. In this problem, since S= <2, 2, 2> and |S|= [itex]2\sqrt{3}[/itex], The unit vector in the direction of S would be [itex] \frac{<2, 2, 2>}{2\sqrt{3}}[/itex].
    That is, of course, [itex]\{\frac{1}{\sqrt{3},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}>[/itex]. It is in the same direction as S simply because it has all components the same and its length is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{3}}= 1[/itex].

8. Sep 14, 2004 #7
    Isn't the second vector 2x-3y-5x??? Or is it 2x-3y-5z. In that case my previous answer is not true. Then you would have (4,-1,-3) - (2,-3,-5)=(2,2,2)

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?