Cake vs Cupcakes: The Epic Battle of Our Era

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
In summary, Cake is the best because it is delicious, can be cut into slices for sharing with friends and frenemies. It also has a subtle fluff of cake topped with smooth icing that melts in your mouth to form a scrumptious coating. Cupcakes have a number of pro's and con's, but in the end, they are not as delicious as cake.

Cakes or cupcakes?

• Cakes

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Cupcakes

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
Drakkith
Mentor
Cake vs Cupcakes. The epic battle of our era. Below, I have listed the pro's and con's of each. Which one is the the best?

Cake

Pro's:
  • Delicious
  • Can be cut into slices for sharing with friends and frenemies. Or even enemies.
  • Subtle fluff of cake topped with smooth icing that melts in your mouth to form a scrumptious coating.
  • Large variety of flavors catering to pallets of all tastes.
  • Available in a single-layer for simple enjoyment, or multi-layer monstrosities fit for a king's 20-year-younger mistress.
Con's: None known.

Cupcakes

Pro's:
  • Delicious
  • Small size is easy on the wrists.
  • Easily share-able with friends and frenemies. Or even enemies.
  • Subtle fluff of cake topped with smooth icing that melts in your mouth to form a scrumptious coating.
  • Large variety of flavors catering to pallets of all tastes.
  • Available in micro-bite size up to multi-pound, diabeetus inducing, only-eat-one-per-week-to-avoid-death monsters.
Con's: None known.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't like cake, nor cupcakes. Essentially they are bread:

"Cake is a form of bread or bread-like food." source: Wikipedia

I rather have bread :biggrin:

I find these days that there is often way too much frosting on cupcakes. All the specialty cupcake makers seem to think I want 70% frosting and 30% cake and that is not so.

Yeah, the amount of icing on cupcakes could gag a maggot. I prefer whole cakes, since less of the cake is exposed to browning while baking, cakes tend to be moister. Bakers tend to try to compensate by piling on tons of icing on cup cakes. Since I don't care much for sweets, I don't think I've had any cake for a couple of years.

Drakkith, you clearly have WAAAYYY too much spare time on your hands :smile:

phinds said:
Drakkith, you clearly have WAAAYYY too much spare time on your hands :smile:

I take offense to that, good sir! The issue of cake vs cupcakes is of dire importance to us all!

Personally I prefer cake. Or maybe cupcakes... no, definitely cake. But the cupcakes... mmmmm...

Warm, moist cupcakes with soft royal icing and good design sense and aesthetic. I also submit that a cupcake can be enjoyed by a single person, whereas a cake requires an entire party. Cupcakes should never be brown (unless they contain brown ingredients), dry or stiff; those have either been overbaked or contain the wrong ingredients.
PS. The Wikipedia article intro is not entirely accurate. Cakes are nothing like bread! Although there are bread cakes that meld the two techniques, their ingredients, preparation, physics and chemistry are very different. The only similarity is that they are both baked and contain some similar ingredients, in which case, they may as well liken biscuits to broiled chicken!

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
I take offense to that, good sir! The issue of cake vs cupcakes is of dire importance to us all!

Personally I prefer cake. Or maybe cupcakes... no, definitely cake. But the cupcakes... mmmmm...

Well, if you really want to get into it seriously, then I can say that you are wrong on both counts. PIE is the thing. MUCH better than bread / cake / cupcakes.

slider142 said:
... I also submit that a cupcake can be enjoyed by a single person, whereas a cake requires an entire party...

Speak for yourself, sir. In the absence of pies I have been know to down a 2-layer chocolate cake (sans icing) in two sittings and would not care to have shared it with anyone.

I wish I didn't like cake, but I like it so much, I could probably eat an entire wedding cake for no reason at all.

I prefer cakes, because whenever I eat cupcakes, I get frosting on my nose and in my nose and in my hair somehow. They're too tall to take a bite of without getting it all over your face. At least with cakes, I can manipulate the cake with a fork to orient it properly for mouth entry.

Also, the wrapper on the cupcakes always makes a mess, because you have to dig your fingers into the top of the cupcake to grab the rim of the wrapper, and as you pull it off, it takes the bottom ring of frosting with it. So you can't just set it down somewhere and eat your cupcake, you have to first basically french kiss a paper wrapper to get all the frosting off of it.
Well, if you really want to get into it seriously, then I can say that you are wrong on both counts. PIE is the thing. MUCH better than bread / cake / cupcakes.
Speak for yourself, sir. In the absence of pies I have been know to down a 2-layer chocolate cake (sans icing) in two sittings and would not care to have shared it with anyone.
This guy knows.
I just ate half of a pumpkin pie. I could've ate the whole thing, but I had half of it yesterday night. I didn't want to eat the whole thing right before bed, so I saved the other half for this morning.

I can definitely enjoy an entire cake. If I had milk, I could do a cake and a half, easy.

However, I've been trying to get those elusive six pack abs that I've always wanted, so I've had to cut down on my pies. I make one a week and take it to my friend's house. So I only have half a pie a week, basically.

I was at Wal-Mart and they had a dutch apple pie on sale for $3. You want to talk about willpower... I had to fight myself not to buy 2 of those. That may be my favorite pie.

Last edited:
Monique said:
I don't like cake, nor cupcakes. Essentially they are bread:

"Cake is a form of bread or bread-like food." source: Wikipedia

I rather have bread :biggrin:

Hi-five!
There is so much more satisfaction from a freshly home-baked slice of bread ( or two, or three, .. ) still warm from the oven, covered in butter, that appeals to all the senses, for an everlasting enjoyment.

This secret technique, handed down through generations of families before being exposed on the internet, makes cupcake a clear winner in a battle between a traditional cupcake and a traditional cake:

2627907598_fcccbbf041.jpg

However, I've never seen an icecream cupcake so I'm hesitant to declare cupcakes the champion. Also, best of both worlds:

http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/800/draft_lens10453231module94880551photo_1271036419tinkerbell_cupcake_cake.j

Last edited by a moderator:
Pythagorean, I'll have to add a point to cupcakes after seeing your first picture above. And then deduct one for the second picture of the "imitation" cake. They may look vaguely similar, but that cupcake-cake takes the cake for being no cake at all! It's nothing but false promises and lies!

I thought the debate was cake vs pie

Maylis said:
I thought the debate was cake vs pie

Most certainly not. Pie cannot even compare to cake, so there wouldn't be much of a thread, would there? :tongue:

No poll?? You know lounge lizards love polls.

Evo said:
No poll?? You know lounge lizards love polls.

I admit I don't know how to make a poll.

Do you want one?

Evo said:
Do you want one?

I'd love one, beautiful, kind, amazing Evo.

Evo said:
What categories? Anonymous, or names? multiple choice?

Anonymous.
Choices are:
1. Cake
2. Cupcakes

Your poll, my lord drakkith...

Evo said:
Your poll, my lord drakkith...

Thank you, Lady Evo. May a flock of cupcakes find your tastebuds by day's end.

Drakkith said:
Thank you, Lady Evo. May a flock of cupcakes find your tastebuds by day's end.
:!)

Cake - it's when a lot of cupcakes.

jimmywhite said:
Cake - it's when a lot of cupcakes.

Yeah. Cover a whole bunch of cupcakes with a thick batch of icing, and who could tell the difference. :approve:

1. What are the main differences between cake and cupcakes?

Cake and cupcakes are both baked desserts made with similar ingredients such as flour, sugar, eggs, and butter. The main difference between the two is the size and shape. Cake is typically baked in a large pan and cut into slices, while cupcakes are baked in individual portions in a cupcake pan. Additionally, cupcakes often have frosting or other toppings, while cake may be served plain or with a light glaze.

2. Which is healthier, cake or cupcakes?

The healthiness of cake and cupcakes depends on the specific recipe and ingredients used. Generally, cupcakes may be considered healthier because they are smaller in size and have a lower calorie and sugar content compared to a slice of cake. However, this can vary greatly depending on the type of cake and frosting used.

3. What factors should be considered when choosing between cake and cupcakes for an event?

When deciding between cake and cupcakes for an event, you should consider the number of people attending, the occasion, and personal preferences. Cupcakes are a great option for larger groups as they are easier to serve and can be decorated in various ways. Cake may be a better choice for a formal event or wedding, and can also be customized to fit a specific theme or design.

4. Can a cake recipe be used to make cupcakes and vice versa?

Yes, in most cases, a cake recipe can be used to make cupcakes and vice versa. However, the baking time and temperature may need to be adjusted for the smaller or larger size. Additionally, the batter may need to be divided differently to ensure the cupcakes are evenly sized and baked through.

5. Why is there a debate between cake and cupcakes?

The debate between cake and cupcakes is largely a matter of personal preference. Some people may prefer the smaller, individual portions of cupcakes, while others may enjoy the traditional and customizable aspect of cake. Additionally, there may be cultural or regional preferences at play. Ultimately, both cake and cupcakes have their own unique qualities and can be enjoyed in their own ways.

Back