1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cal 1 in the summer

1. Jul 27, 2011 #1
    I am planning to take cal 1 during the next summer semester. I just wanted to know if 1) it is a bad idea to have something like cal taken at a fast pace and 2) will there be to much work to take a writing course(technical writing) a long with it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2011 #2
    Calc 1 is the most important class you will ever take in your life as a physics major, you should be in no rush to get through it. Does that mean the summer class is bad? I don't know, that all depends.

4. Jul 27, 2011 #3
    I took calc I over the summer with a Mexican lady who could hardly speak English. Calc I is not that hard as long as you've got a fairly solid basis in algebra and know a little trig. I passed with a B, and I think my math skills are more than sufficient for my major (engineering). Your mileage may vary as a physics major.

5. Jul 27, 2011 #4
    I took it during the summer last year with zero problems whatsoever. Unless its one of those accelerated like 6 week or something classes then I wouldnt worry about it. Mine was about the same length as a normal semester except we met 3 times a week instead of 2 to offset the slightly shorter run.

My professor was extremely slow though, spending an obscene amounts of time just on limits. As a consequence we didnt get as far through as some other classes thought the part we missed overlapped with calc 2 so no problems there.

I love summer and I've never had a problem with the faster pace. I've taken Calc 1, Computer science,philosophy and am now taking circuit analysis.

6. Jul 27, 2011 #5
    And as an addendum to my previous post, my class was five weeks. I still survived. And I'm not really a math wiz...

Oh, and we only skipped two sections out of about thirty five.

7. Jul 27, 2011 #6
    Good I feel better now. Thankyou everyone

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook