Should I Take Calculus 2 and 3 in High School?

• Thread starter yyttr2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Highschool
In summary, the individual is a high school senior considering taking distance calculus two and three, in addition to their current course load of AP English lit, oral com/art, AP Chemistry, AP World History, Anatomy and Physiology, Botany and Zoology, and study hall. They are seeking advice on whether it would be beneficial to take these courses and if there is any reason to wait until college. They have also been recommended to review calculus I and learn the theory behind it before taking calculus two and three. The individual is considering self-studying linear algebra before starting college, and they will have to pay for the courses themselves. The conversation also discusses the differences between calculus three and multivariable calculus, with the individual's high school offering
yyttr2
I am about to be a senior in high school and I have the opportunity to take distance calculus two and three ( I passed Ap calculus AB with a 5 and my school does not offer BC). The classes I am already taking for high school are:
1. A.P. English lit.
2. Oral com/art
3. A.P. Chemistry
4. A.P. World history.
5. Anatomy and physiology
6. Botany and zoology
7. Study hall.As a math major would it be beneficial to do this? To take calculus two, then calculus three during my senior year. Is there some reason why I should wait for college? Should I only take calculus two? If you have any advice or reasons to do or not to do various things please post! I have the correct things to apply to these classes ready to be sent off. I am just unsure about whether or not I should.

Physics news on Phys.org
If u truly want to become a mathematician and learn math in depth and want a good foundation, I suggest you look back at calc I and learn the theory behind it using a textbook different from the one ur high school used. here is a helpful link https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=122924

At the same time, u can take calc 2 at college, the quality of teaching should be better since the prof/instructor should be more knowledgeable than ur hs teacher.

kamikaze1 said:
I suggest you look back at calc I and learn the theory behind it using a textbook different from the one ur high school used.
IMHO, that would be suicide without a proof class or, at least, a gentle intro to proofs by reading a the first few chapters of a proof book.

It would be hard to take a math with your schedule. I wouldn't want to, but if you think you can handle it, then there's no reason not to. Does your state pay for dual enrollment? That's one reason why it would be REALLY beneficial. Obviously, the more college classes you can take that are payed for by the state, the less you have to pay for yourself when you're in college.

I obtained some updates on this. Each calculus class last one semester and high-school has told me that I can obtain half a credit in high school for each college semester I take. If then I take both calculus two and three the Mathematics chair at my school said I can have sort of an 'independent study' class in high school. So my courses now look like:

1. A.P. English lit.
2. Oral com/art
3. A.P. Chemistry
4. Calculus2/Calculus3 (i'm not sure how this would work exactly.)
6. Botany and zoology
7. Study hall.
(I need English to Graduate, and I wish to take all the other science courses so world hist is the best option to get rid of.)
As for what kamikaze1 said, I try to study a lot independently and I would hope that, along with what I know now, I could have independently gained the mathematical maturity needed to handle something such as linear algebra or Differential equations before my freshman year. I own a lot of calculus books, including Walter Rudins "principles of mathematical analysis" (My calculus teacher let me have all her old books). (I have yet to get through the first chapter of Rudins book, I suspect it is impossible haha)
I do have to pay for both the courses, there is no getting around that. I am obtaining money from my school for other reasons that would cover the cost however.

Last edited:
You could self-study the linear algebra before you're done with the cal sequence. AFAIK, cal and LA are independent.

Just a quick question: is your calculus 3 course the same thing as a multivariable calculus course? I ask because my high school offers multivariable calculus but it isn't under the name Calculus 3 and I would like to inquire with them as to why they do not offer it if calculus 3 does indeed have a different course description from multivariable. Thanks.

Calc III is multivariable calc.

TylerH said:
Calc III is multivariable calc.
That presumes a three-semester sequence in the US. (Probably obvious, but I figure I'd mention it.) Some colleges in the US offer Calculus as a 4-quarter sequence, with multivariable calc. in Calc. IV. And some offer Calculus in only 2-semesters (either in an accelerated form, with knowledge of basic calculus in high school assumed), with multivariable calc. in Calc. II.

I will just post the topics covered in each course.
Ap calculus AB (Highschool):
1. Limits
2.Differentiation
3.Applications of differentiation
4.Integration
5. Logarithmic, exponential and other transcendental functions
6. Applications of integration

Calculus II (colllege):
1.Applications of integration
2.Integration techniques, L'hopitals', improper integrals
3.Infinite series
4. Conics, parametric equations and polar coordinates
5. Vectors and the geometry of space

Calculus III (college):

1. Vectors and the geometry of spcae
2.Vector-valued functions
3.Functions of several Variables
4.Multiple integration
5.Vector analysis
6. Differential equations

What is Cal 2 and 3 in high school?

Cal 2 and 3, also known as Calculus 2 and 3, are advanced math courses typically taken in high school. These courses build upon the principles learned in Calculus 1 and cover topics such as integration, differentiation, and multivariable calculus.

Why are Cal 2 and 3 important for high school students?

Cal 2 and 3 are important for high school students because they provide a strong foundation in calculus, which is essential for many STEM fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. These courses also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are some common challenges students face in Cal 2 and 3?

Some common challenges students face in Cal 2 and 3 include understanding complex mathematical concepts, managing time effectively, and applying calculus principles to real-world problems. It is important for students to stay organized, seek help when needed, and practice regularly to overcome these challenges.

How can students prepare for Cal 2 and 3 in high school?

Students can prepare for Cal 2 and 3 by reviewing and mastering the material from Calculus 1, practicing with advanced calculus problems, and familiarizing themselves with the course syllabus and expectations. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as online tutorials or study groups.

What are some potential career options for students who excel in Cal 2 and 3?

Students who excel in Cal 2 and 3 may pursue careers in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, data science, and many others. These courses provide a strong foundation in mathematical and analytical skills that are highly sought after in various industries. Additionally, students may choose to continue their education in college and pursue degrees in STEM fields.