1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cal Ii

1. Jan 20, 2005 #1
    We're doing a review this week and i'm already having problems. I dont remeber doing this problem and cannot find similar problems in the book. Here's the question:

You are given the three points in the plane [tex]A= (6-3)[/tex], [tex]B = (11,8)[/tex], and [tex]C=(15,0)[/tex]. The graph of the function [tex]f(x)[/tex] consists of the two line segments [tex]AB[/tex] and [tex]BC[/tex]. Find the integral [tex]\int_6^{15} f(x)dx[/tex] by interpreting the integral in terms of sums and/or differences of areas of elementary figures.

1.) [tex]\int_6^{15} f(x)dx[/tex] = _______

Here's what i done:

the first thing i did was plugged in A,B, & C points into a graph. after that, i connected the dots and found out that there were two triangles. So i used the area of the triangle formula to find the area of each triangles and added it together. I got an answer of 43.5, but it's incorrect. I'm not good at math, so can someone point me to the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry,but i haven't made the calculations...But are u sure you added the areas with the right signs??The one above the Ox axis is positive,but the one below has a negative area...

Daniel.

4. Jan 20, 2005 #3
    What the integral does is add up all the area under the line ABC and "ABOVE THE X AXIS" .. you should have 2 triangles and 1 rectangle...... you really need a graph to do this problem at your level....

5. Jan 20, 2005 #4
    wait... is that a A=(6,3) or A=(6,-3)... this makes a huge different...if it is a -3, you have to sum up all area above the x axis and minis the below the x axis.....

6. Jan 20, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I bet it is [tex] A(6,-3) [/tex].Else,he wouldn't have screwed up the calculations.

Daniel.

7. Jan 20, 2005 #6
    You may also wright analitically equation for straight line, which goes through 2 points.
    If P1 (x1, y1) and P2 (x2, y2), then

(x-x1)/(x2-x1)=(y-y1)/(y2-y1) is the equation. And now You just have to integrate from x1 to x2.
    Sorry for bad english.

8. Jan 20, 2005 #7
    yea point A is (6,-3), sorry about that typo. ok i think i see the two triangles and the rectange now. So what i did was found the total area of the two triangle above the x-axis using 1/2*b*h. after that, i found the area of the rectange under the x-axis using L*W. subtract the area of above x-axis with the below and found an answer of 21 which is incorrect. can someone show me what i'm doing incorrect? i think i'm doing the calculations correctly (double checked acouple of times).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?