1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cal Poly

1. Apr 25, 2009 #1
    Hi, I read online and people say that if you want to get into graduate school, pick UC over Cal Poly. Why is that? What is missing in Cal Poly that doesn't prepare students to transfer to graduate school after undergrad?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2009 #2
    It really depends on the major you want to pursue. What kind of degree do you want?

4. Apr 25, 2009 #3
    Hi, I am already in a graduate program. I am just asking in general. The context is engineering. Say you want to get a PhD in Civil, Mechanical, or Electical Engineering.

I read posts saying that the education (engineering) at Cal Poly (California Polytechnics) is very hands-on and practical, and many recruiters would not hesitate to hire undergrad from there. But if that is the case, what is missing there that makes people say, "Oh, but if you plan to go into research you should pick UC (University of California)."

Why isn't it advisable to just get the practical knowledge and transfer to a research university? What is missing that makes the valuable practical knowledges undesirable/uncompetitive if they were to apply to graduate school? What is missing that make them "less ready" for research?

Is there an actual deficiency in what they learn? Or is it simply a matter of not being able to connect with a professor early and do undergraduate research in undergrad, so you don't get a head-start?

5. Apr 26, 2009 #4
    I can't give you a definitive answer, but I'll try,

Personally, I think classes are taught with a slight emphasis on either practical or theoretical topics. Anything that is totally inconsequential in the real-world, would be most likely to be removed at a school like Cal Poly. Likewise, in research, I think knowledge of the theory and principles behind a certain topic matter more than practical applications.

Hope this helps!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook