Temperature Decrease: 4min to 32°F

In summary, the container of hot liquid starts at 180 degrees F and after 4 minutes in a freezer with a constant temperature of 15 degrees F, its temperature decreases to 64 degrees F. To decrease to 32 degrees F, it will take an additional amount of time. The specific amount of time can be found by setting up a linear model with the given data points and solving for the corresponding time value when the temperature is 32 degrees F.
Johny 5

Homework Statement

A container of hot liquid is 180 degrees F. After 4 minutes, the liquid's temperature is 64 degrees F. How much longer will take its temperature to decrease to 32 degrees F? round to three decimal places

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue where to start with this problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are given two data points: (0, 180) and (4, 64), I suspect you are intended to try a linear model. Find A and B such that T = At+ B (T is the temperature in degrees, t is the time in minutes) is satisfied by t=0, T= 180 and t= 4, T= 64. Then set T= 32 and solve for t.

HallsofIvy said:
Since you are given two data points: (0, 180) and (4, 64), I suspect you are intended to try a linear model. Find A and B such that T = At+ B (T is the temperature in degrees, t is the time in minutes) is satisfied by t=0, T= 180 and t= 4, T= 64. Then set T= 32 and solve for t.

umm I'm still confused...

Johny 5 said:

Homework Statement

A container of hot liquid is placed in a freezer that is kept at a constant temperature of 15 degrese F. the initial temperature of the liquid is 180 degrees F. After 4 minutes, the liquid's temperature is 64 degrees F. How much longer will take its temperature to decrease to 32 degrees F? round to three decimal places

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue where to start with this problem...

i didn't write the whole problem sorry...

1. What is the cause of the sudden decrease in temperature from 4 minutes to 32°F?

The most likely cause of this temperature decrease is a change in the external environment, such as a decrease in sunlight or an increase in wind. Other factors that could contribute to this change include the release of cold air from a nearby source, such as an air conditioning unit or a sudden drop in atmospheric pressure.

2. Is a decrease from 4 minutes to 32°F considered a significant change in temperature?

Yes, a decrease of 28°F in just 4 minutes is considered a significant change in temperature. This sudden drop could have significant impacts on the environment and living organisms in the area, especially if it persists for an extended period of time.

3. How can we measure the temperature decrease accurately?

The most accurate way to measure the temperature decrease is by using a thermometer. It is important to place the thermometer in a shaded area and away from any heat sources to get an accurate reading.

4. Can human activities contribute to a temperature decrease of 4min to 32°F?

In some cases, human activities such as deforestation or industrial pollution can contribute to a decrease in temperature. However, in most cases, a sudden temperature decrease is a natural occurrence caused by changes in the environment.

5. What impacts can a temperature decrease of 4min to 32°F have on the environment?

A sudden temperature decrease can have various impacts on the environment, including slowing down plant growth, disrupting animal behavior, and causing changes in weather patterns. It can also lead to the formation of ice and frost, which can damage crops and infrastructure.