1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc 1 problem

1. Mar 21, 2010 #1
    whitch of agnesi problem) its a curve defined as follows. let O be the origin, let T be the point (0,1), and let m be the line through T parallel to the x-axis. Let C be the circle centered at (0,0.5) with radius 0.5. For any point P on the circle besides O and T, we draw a ray from O through P. let this ray intersex m at point X. we then draw the altitude from X to the line through P parallel to the x-axis. The foot of this altitude, point A, is on the witch curve. When we trace out the resulting points A for all possible P, and include point T, we get the witch curve. Find the Parameterization for it and a function f such that the witch curve is the graph of the function y = f(x)

Thanks SO SO much

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Please don't double post.

4. Mar 21, 2010 #3
    Sorry mark I'm new

5. Mar 21, 2010 #4
    Please post a response if you get the chance. I'm sorry I double posted- I promise I won't do it again. (that's not an excuse to not answer my question haha)

6. Mar 21, 2010 #5
    One of the rules of PF is that you have to post your attempt at the solution before anyone here can provide any hints.

7. Mar 21, 2010 #6
    please verify my solution:

a= radius
    x= 2acos(t)
    y= a[1-cos 2(t)]
    y= 8a^3/x^2+4a^2

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook