Parameterizing the Witch of Agnesi Curve

• Thread starter dnylander
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the witch of Agnesi problem involves a curve defined by tracing out the points A for all possible points P on a circle, including point T, with specific conditions. The curve can be parameterized by a function y = f(x), where x = 2acos(t) and y = a(1 - cos 2(t)).
dnylander
whitch of agnesi problem) its a curve defined as follows. let O be the origin, let T be the point (0,1), and let m be the line through T parallel to the x-axis. Let C be the circle centered at (0,0.5) with radius 0.5. For any point P on the circle besides O and T, we draw a ray from O through P. let this ray intersex m at point X. we then draw the altitude from X to the line through P parallel to the x-axis. The foot of this altitude, point A, is on the witch curve. When we trace out the resulting points A for all possible P, and include point T, we get the witch curve. Find the Parameterization for it and a function f such that the witch curve is the graph of the function y = f(x)

Thanks SO SO much

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry mark I'm new

Please post a response if you get the chance. I'm sorry I double posted- I promise I won't do it again. (that's not an excuse to not answer my question haha)

dnylander said:
Please post a response if you get the chance. I'm sorry I double posted- I promise I won't do it again. (that's not an excuse to not answer my question haha)

One of the rules of PF is that you have to post your attempt at the solution before anyone here can provide any hints.

please verify my solution:

a= radius
x= 2acos(t)
y= a[1-cos 2(t)]
y= 8a^3/x^2+4a^2

Thanks

1. What is the Witch of Agnesi Curve?

The Witch of Agnesi Curve, also known as the Witch of Maria Agnesi or the Versiera Curve, is a mathematical curve named after Italian mathematician Maria Agnesi. It is a cubic curve defined by the equation y = 8a^3 / (x^2 + 4a^2), where a is the distance from the origin to the point of intersection with the x-axis.

2. Why is it called the Witch of Agnesi Curve?

The curve was named by Italian mathematician and physicist Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century. He believed the curve resembled the shape of a witch's hat, and the term "witch" comes from the Italian word "versiera," meaning "witch-like."

3. What is the significance of parameterizing the Witch of Agnesi Curve?

Parameterizing the curve allows us to express the coordinates of any point on the curve in terms of a single parameter, usually denoted as t. This makes it easier to manipulate and study the curve, as well as to graph it on a coordinate plane.

4. How is the Witch of Agnesi Curve parameterized?

The curve can be parameterized by using the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. A common parameterization is x = at, y = 8a^3 / (1 + t^2), where t is the parameter and a is the constant that determines the scale and position of the curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Witch of Agnesi Curve?

The curve has been used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it is used in optics to model the intensity of a laser beam, in engineering to design curved surfaces for objects such as airplane wings, and in economics to model the production rate of a product over time. It has also been used in the study of fluid dynamics and in the development of mathematical models for the spread of diseases.