Solve Calc 1 Story Problem: Marathon Runner & Park Trail

• Thread starter mikky05v
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc 1
In summary: In this case, the max is when T=175 and the min is when T=0. In summary, the runner can walk for a maximum of 175 minutes before she reaches her max distance.
mikky05v
I'm attempting to help a tutoring student with this problem and I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it.
1. Homework Statement

A marathon runner likes to practice by running in a large park that has a perfectly circular trail, with circumference 50 kilometers. She runs at a constant training speed, and to complete the entire circle takes her 2 hours and 55 minutes. However, it’s her habit that the moment she feels too tired, she stops running on the trail and starts walking on a straight line across the meadow, directly back to her starting point, at a speed exactly 50% of her running speed.

Depending on where she might tire out on the circle, what is the maximum amount of time that she might spend on the run/walk, to the nearest minute?

Let (x,y) =(0,0) be the center of the circular track. Let the runner's starting/ending point be the rightmost point on the circle; that is, (r,0) (in both coordinate systems).

Homework Equations

C=2πr, C= circumference, r= radius
d=s*t, d= distance, s=speed, t=time
a=θ*r, a=arc length, θ=angle, r=radius
d=√[(x2-x1)+(y2-y1)], d=distance between two points
x=rcosθ, x=rectangular coordinates, (r,θ)=polar coordinates
y=rsinθ, y=rectangular coordinates, (r,θ)=polar coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to help him. Can anyone see where to go with this problem? It's been such a long time since I have calc 1 and I am completely lost here.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing it out. Your variables are time running and time walking and you want to maximize the sum.

What do you know so far?

Alright I tried drawing it out but I don't think I see what you're going for here. I found r=25π but I am not seeing what to do with any of the rest of this. What type of problem is this? Maybe I can look up some information on the sections it's into help figure it out. I was thinking optimization maybe but I don't even know if that's a calc 1 subject.

Let T be the time before she gets tired.
T is in [0,175] in minutes.
Find a formula for distance from the starting point in terms of T.
Then T2 is the amount of time it takes her to get back. It should be directly related to how far she is.
You should be able to write T2 in terms of T.
Now add them together, and you will have one expression with one variable and you want the max.
Maxes and mins either occur at endpoints or when the first derivative is equal to zero.

1. What is the purpose of solving a calculus story problem about a marathon runner on a park trail?

The purpose of solving this type of problem is to apply the principles of calculus, specifically derivatives and optimization, to a real-world scenario. In this case, we use calculus to analyze the motion of a runner on a park trail and determine the optimal time and distance for the runner to complete the marathon.

2. What information is needed to solve this calculus story problem?

To solve this problem, we need to know the distance of the park trail, the speed of the runner, and any other relevant information such as the terrain and elevation changes of the trail. We also need to have a basic understanding of calculus concepts such as derivatives and optimization.

3. How does calculus help in solving this problem?

Calculus allows us to analyze the motion of the runner by using derivatives to calculate their instantaneous velocity and acceleration at any given point. We can also use optimization techniques to determine the optimal time and distance for the runner to complete the marathon on the park trail.

4. Can this calculus story problem be solved without using calculus?

Technically, yes, this problem can be solved using basic algebra and geometry. However, the use of calculus allows for a more precise and accurate solution, taking into account factors such as changing velocity and the effects of elevation on the runner's performance.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving calculus story problems like this one?

Calculus story problems, such as this marathon runner on a park trail, have many real-world applications. They can be used to optimize the performance of athletes in various sports, analyze the motion of vehicles and other objects, and even model the spread of diseases in a population. Additionally, solving these problems can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in many fields.