Calculating Arc Length for a Polynomial Function on a Given Interval

In summary, to find the arc length of F(x) = (4/5)*x^(5/4) on the interval of [0,4], we can use the equation Arc Length = Integral (sqrt (1 + [f(x)']^2)) dx. By taking the derivative of F(x), we get F'(x) = x^(1/4). Then, by substituting u^2 = 1 + x^(1/2) and solving for dx, we can rewrite the equation as Integral from [0,4] of Sqrt (1 + x^(1/2)) dx. After taking the derivative of u^2 = 1 + x^(1/2), we can substitute
Alex G

Homework Statement

F(x) = (4/5)*x^(5/4) on the interval of [0,4]
Find the Arc Length

Homework Equations

Arc Length = Integral (sqrt (1 + [f(x)']^2)) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

F'(x) = x^(1/4)

Integral from [0,4] of Sqrt (1 + x^(1/2)) dx

I'm not sure where to go with this integral, I'm sure it's a substitution, however I've been at this all day and I have no idea what.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the substitution u^2=1+x^(1/2).

Okay, when I take the derivative of the u^2 = 1 + x^(1/2) to sub for dx I start to get lost. Would I do
u= sqrt(1 + x^(1/2)) and then take the derivative for du = dx part?

2*u*du=(1/2)*x^(-1/2)*dx. So 4*u*x^(1/2)*du=dx. Substitute u^2-1 for x^(1/2).

Herp'a Derp'a ... thank you! Been doing so much of these Power and Taylor Series, I forgot the beginning stuff :(

What is a calculus 2 arc length question?

A calculus 2 arc length question involves finding the length of a curve or arc using calculus techniques. It is typically a type of integration problem that requires knowledge of basic calculus principles such as derivatives and integrals.

How do I approach a calculus 2 arc length question?

The first step is to understand the given curve or arc and its boundaries. Then, use the formula for arc length, which is usually given, to set up an integral. From there, solve the integral using calculus techniques and evaluate the result to find the length of the curve or arc.

What are some common techniques used to solve calculus 2 arc length questions?

Some common techniques used include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is also important to have a good understanding of derivatives and integrals, as well as the basic formulas for arc length and area under a curve.

What are some tips for solving calculus 2 arc length questions?

It is important to carefully read the problem and understand the given information. Drawing a diagram can also be helpful in visualizing the curve or arc. Additionally, it is important to check your work and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus 2 arc length questions?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert between degrees and radians when working with trigonometric functions. It is also important to correctly set up the integral and to be mindful of negative signs when integrating. It is always a good idea to double-check your work and make sure you have used the correct formulas and techniques.