1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc 2 equations of sphere

1. Apr 23, 2010 #1
    Find the equation of a sphere if one of its diameters has endpoints: (-1, -5, -8) and (3, -1, -4)

Ok, heres what I have so far, I cant find the radius and im not sure if the rest of the equation is correct. Havin some issues with this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2010 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: You are given the endpoints of one of the diameters, shouldn't the center of the sphere be halfway between the two endpoints?:wink:
  4. Apr 23, 2010 #3
    So I subtract my vectors, and get (4,-4,-4) correct?

Then I divide that vector by 2 and get (2, -2, -2) Correct?
    So then my radius should be 2

So that means my equation should be

But when i enter that its wrong.
  5. Apr 23, 2010 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, double check your negative signs. Second, what quantity does subtracting the two position vector really give you?
  6. Apr 23, 2010 #5
    Ok, Im having a really difficult time doing the simplest part of this problem.
    So, by subtracting the two points, I get the diameter of the sphere, then dividing it by 2 gives me the radius.

Redid it and got a difference of (4,4,4) and a radius of (2,2,2)

I think i have an idea of where Im going wrong, by dividing the diameter by 2 i do get the radius, but that is not necessarily the center point. How would I go about finding the center point?
  7. Apr 23, 2010 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, diameter is a distance (scalar)...subtracting two position vectors gives you a vector...specifically the vector from the first endpoint to the second endpoint....What does dividing that vector by 2 give you? (draw a picture if you aren't sure!)

That looks better:smile:
  8. Apr 23, 2010 #7
    Got this one figured out also. Answer is (x-1)^2+(y+3)^2+(z+6)^2-3.464^2

And used the distance formula, which i forgot about, to solve for the distance and then divided that by 2 to get the radius. Then I basically took the average of each x y and z point to find the center.

Thanks for you help!! Glad i found this site
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook