Solving ∫x/(6x-x^2)^3/2dx: Help Needed!

In summary, the person is seeking help with evaluating the indefinite integral ∫x/(6x-x^2)^3/2dx and has attempted to use trig substitution without success. They have been advised to complete the square before trying again and have been asked to show their work.
Oalvarez
1. I need help solving this integral, I've tried using trig substitution, but I'm getting nowhere with it.

∫x/(6x-x^2)^3/2dx

Like I said before, I tried changing the bottom to a radical and trig substituting but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere. Thanks in advanced for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
You are trying to evaluate the indefinite integral:
$$\int \frac{x}{(6x-x^2)^{3/2}}\;dx$$

Note: ##(6x-x^2)^{3/2} = x^{3/2}(6-x)^{3/2}## ... probably won't help a lot: try again but complete the square first.

Oalvarez said:
1. I need help solving this integral, I've tried using trig substitution, but I'm getting nowhere with it.

∫x/(6x-x^2)^3/2dx

Like I said before, I tried changing the bottom to a radical and trig substituting but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere. Thanks in advanced for any help.
Please show your work.

1. What is the process for solving integrals?

The process for solving integrals involves using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities to simplify and then evaluate the integral.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for an integral?

The limits of integration are determined by the given problem or context. They can represent the bounds of a specific region on a graph or the beginning and end points of a function.

3. What is the power rule for integration?

The power rule for integration states that the integral of x^n is equal to (x^(n+1))/(n+1) + C, where C is a constant. This rule is used when the integrand is a polynomial function.

4. How do you solve improper integrals?

Improper integrals are solved by breaking them into smaller integrals and evaluating each part separately. The improper integral may converge or diverge, depending on the behavior of the function at the limits of integration.

5. Can you provide an example of solving an integral using the given function?

Yes, for the function ∫x/(6x-x^2)^3/2dx, we can use the substitution u = 6x-x^2 and du = (6-2x)dx to simplify the integral to ∫du/u^3/2, which can then be evaluated using the power rule for integration. The final result would be -(6x-x^2)^1/2 + C.