Solving an Integral with (3x+2)/x(x+2)^2+16x

• Thread starter poopforfood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about solving a complex integral involving a fraction and a polynomial. The problem is broken down into simpler parts and the values of the variables A, B, and C are found. The conversation then discusses how to handle the remaining term and suggests a substitution to simplify the integral. The person seeking help is unsure of what to do next and asks for further assistance.
poopforfood

Homework Statement

Integral of (3x+2)/x(x+2)^2+16x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

That breaks down to

A/x + Bx+c/x^2+4x+20

so 3x+2 = Ax^2+4x+20 + Bx^2 + Cx

then I found the values of A b and C then I can't figure out what to do please help

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get for values of a,b,c?

And by the way, is that supposed to be

[tex] \frac{3x+2}{x(x+2)^2+16x} [/tex]?

because the way it's written is

[tex] \frac{3x+2}{x} (x+2)^2 + 16x [/tex]

yea that's what its suposed to be

And did you by chance get A= 1/10, B = -1/10, C= 26/10?

yeaup

I don't know what to do after this

well, the [itex]\frac{1}{x} [/itex] is pretty easy to handle right? So we'll just focus on the other term. Now, in this case it's better if we express [itex] x^2+4x+20 [/itex] as [itex] (x+2)^2+16[/itex].

Make the substitution [itex] x+2 = 4 \tan(\theta) [/itex] and don't forget that in this case [itex] dx = 4 \sec^2(\theta) d\theta [/tex]. Substitute everything into your integral and see if it simplifies a bit.

If you do what I've said to do, and you do it correctly, your integral will become much easier, so just stick with it.

Well why don't you show me what you've got so far and we'll see if we can't see where the problem is, because if you done it correctly the integral is blatantly obvious.

1. How do I approach solving this integral?

To solve this integral, you can use the method of partial fractions. First, factor out the denominator and then set up the equation as a sum of fractions with unknown constants. Solve for the constants and then integrate each fraction separately.

2. Can I use substitution to solve this integral?

Yes, you can use substitution to solve this integral, but it may be more complicated than using the method of partial fractions. If you choose to use substitution, make sure to choose a substitution that will simplify the integral.

3. Is there a shortcut or trick to solving this integral?

There is no specific shortcut or trick to solving this integral, but it is important to carefully factor out the denominator and set up the equation as a sum of fractions. This will make the integration process easier.

4. What are the potential challenges in solving this integral?

One potential challenge in solving this integral is making a mistake in the partial fraction decomposition. It is important to carefully factor the denominator and check your work to ensure the fractions are set up correctly. Additionally, the integration process may be longer and more complicated than other integrals.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve this integral?

No, you cannot use a calculator to solve this integral. It requires a more advanced understanding of integration techniques and cannot be solved by a calculator alone. It is important to practice and understand the method of partial fractions to solve this integral.