Maximizing f(x,y) on a Triangular Region | Calc 3 Homework Solution

• Thread starter e^(i Pi)+1=0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc 3
In summary, the maximum value of f(x,y)=xy+1 on the triangular region: x ≥ 0, y ≥ 0, x+y ≤ 1, is found on the boundary where y=1-x.
e^(i Pi)+1=0

Homework Statement

Find the maximum value of f(x,y)=xy+1 on the triangular region: x ≥ 0, y ≥ 0, x+y ≤ 1

The Attempt at a Solution

Partial derivatives of f(x,y) with respect to both x and y are positive within the given bounds, so the maxima will be found on the boundary where y=1-x. g(x) = -x2+x+1 and max value is 1.25

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you reason that y = 1-x? Why could the maximum not be found where either x = 0 or y = 0?

verty said:
How did you reason that y = 1-x? Why could the maximum not be found where either x = 0 or y = 0?
For the reason given: since both partial derivatives are positive within the region, the max must be at a place where neither x nor y can be increased without reducing the other.

haruspex said:
For the reason given: since both partial derivatives are positive within the region, the max must be at a place where neither x nor y can be increased without reducing the other.

Can we extend this reasoning to the case where the partial derivatives differ in sign? I think so. This is most interesting.

Regarding the original post, I thought perhaps a leap had been made but I see now that everything was justified.

Last edited:
verty said:
Can we extend this reasoning to the case where the partial derivatives differ in sign? I think so. This is most interesting.

Regarding the original post, I thought perhaps a leap had been made but I see now that everything was justified.

No, it is not true in general. For example, if we want to maximize f = 2*x + y over the region x,y >= 0, x+y <= 1, the solution is at (x,y) = (1,0). This is true despite the fact that the partial derivatives of f are positive everywhere in the feasible set.

The OP happened to get lucky in his analysis, but other, more general cases are not so easily handled. I, personally, would not regard his argument as 100% airtight, but he could fairly easily fix it up.

The so-called Karush-Kuhn-Tucker conditions were devised to deal with such problems. Essentially, these look at the behavior of directional derivatives of f along feasible directions.

Ray Vickson said:
No, it is not true in general. For example, if we want to maximize f = 2*x + y over the region x,y >= 0, x+y <= 1, the solution is at (x,y) = (1,0).

... which lies on the line y = 1 - x.

pasmith said:
... which lies on the line y = 1 - x.

Yes, of course it does. However, that does not prevent one of the variables x or y from being zero at the solution.

What I was objecting to was the automatic assumption that both variables had to be > 0, just because the partials are both > 0.

Ray Vickson said:
What I was objecting to was the automatic assumption that both variables had to be > 0, just because the partials are both > 0.
No, that was in verty's comment, not in the OP. All e^(i Pi)+1=0 argued was that it must lie on x+y=1.

I know the logic doesn't hold when x or y = 0, but that obviously doesn't give the max value just by glancing at the function so I didn't think it was worth mentioning.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
I know the logic doesn't hold when x or y = 0
You are selling your own argument short. Even if, say, x = 0, if 0 < y < 1 then, because ∂f/∂x > 0, must be possible to increase the value of the function by increasing y. The case where it does break down is x = y = 0, because both partial derivatives are 0 there.

1. What is Calc 3?

Calc 3, short for Calculus 3, is the third course in a series of college-level mathematics courses that build upon the concepts of Calculus 1 and 2. It focuses on multivariable calculus, which involves studying functions of several variables and their derivatives.

2. What topics are covered in Calc 3?

Some common topics covered in Calc 3 include vectors, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and the applications of these concepts in fields such as physics and engineering. It also introduces students to the study of three-dimensional space and curves and surfaces in that space.

3. Why is understanding Calc 3 important?

Calculus 3 is an important branch of mathematics that has a wide range of applications in various fields, including science, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in many professions.

4. How can I check my reasoning in Calc 3?

One way to check your reasoning in Calc 3 is to solve practice problems and compare your solutions with the answers provided. Another way is to seek help from a tutor or professor who can review your work and provide feedback on your reasoning and approach.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in Calc 3?

Some tips for succeeding in Calc 3 include attending class regularly, actively participating in class discussions and problem-solving, practicing regularly, seeking help when needed, and staying organized with notes and assignments. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of the concepts covered in Calc 1 and 2.