Limits of Complex Functions: Final Exam Practice

In summary: r\ln(r^2) is a dream to solve. but converting the "r*(cos+sin)" to just the r is where you are losing me. i don't understand what you mean by "bound each by 1"this is what i am picturing when you say that-1=<cos=<1 -1=<sin=<1\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,
itsagoal89
compute the limit lim as x,y --> (0,0) of (x+y)*ln(x2+y2)

i would use polar coordinates if (x+y) was (x^2+y^2) but that not being the case is messing with me.

and than another one is the same parameters, but of (x^2*y)/(x^4+y^2). for this one i attempted to do the partial deriv of both x and y, but than i didn't what to do when i arrived at each component. that then made me beg the question "was i even allowed to do that"

Someone help, and set me straight, these are final exam practice problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
itsagoal89 said:
compute the limit lim as x,y --> (0,0) of (x+y)*ln(x2+y2)

i would use polar coordinates if (x+y) was (x^2+y^2) but that not being the case is messing with me.

Polar is still a good idea. You can overestimate (x+y) = r(cos(θ)+sin(θ))...

itsagoal89 said:
compute the limit lim as x,y --> (0,0)...

and than another one is the same parameters, but of (x^2*y)/(x^4+y^2). for this one i attempted to do the partial deriv of both x and y, but than i didn't what to do when i arrived at each component. that then made me beg the question "was i even allowed to do that"

Someone help, and set me straight, these are final exam practice problems.

Perhaps this one was find the limit if it exists. See if you can find a couple paths giving different limits.

thanks kurt, but i don't know how i would, what would (x,y)->(0,0) change to? and i get stuck here...

lim (r(cos(a)+sin(a))*ln(r^2)
xy->(0,0)

itsagoal89 said:
thanks kurt, but i don't know how i would, what would (x,y)->(0,0) change to? and i get stuck here...

xy->(0,0)

Of course, you want absolute values in there. But you can bound the trig functions easily enough, and (x,y) → (0,0) is the same as r → 0, so it is just a problem about rLn(r2) in 1-D. Try L'Hospital on it after getting it in the right form.

Or use squeeze method:
|xln(x^2+y^2)| [tex]\leq[/tex] f(x,y) [tex]\leq[/tex] 2|xln(x)|

i hate the squeeze theorem. i am never going to use it again after calc3, i had a teacher ruin it for me,

KURT-
r -> 0 good call, i figured that part on my owner about five minutes after. but i don't know if its just my awful teacher, but i am not seeing what you are saying in "you can bound it easy enough". without a denominator how do i use l'hopital because he is the man for identifying that rule and i would love to use it. show me what form i would be taking the limit of.

itsagoal89 said:

xy->(0,0)

LCKurtz said:
Of course, you want absolute values in there. But you can bound the trig functions easily enough, and (x,y) → (0,0) is the same as r → 0, so it is just a problem about rLn(r2) in 1-D. Try L'Hospital on it after getting it in the right form.

itsagoal89 said:
i hate the squeeze theorem. i am never going to use it again after calc3, i had a teacher ruin it for me,

KURT-
r -> 0 good call, i figured that part on my owner about five minutes after. but i don't know if its just my awful teacher, but i am not seeing what you are saying in "you can bound it easy enough". without a denominator how do i use l'hopital because he is the man for identifying that rule and i would love to use it. show me what form i would be taking the limit of.

Bound the trig functions each by 1 and write the r times the ln(r) like this:

[tex]r\ln(r) = \frac {\ln(r)}{\frac 1 r}[/tex]

This gives you an ∞/∞ form you can use L'H on.

kurt, rln(r^2) is a dream to solve. but converting the "r*(cos+sin)" to just the r is where you are losing me. i don't understand what you mean by "bound each by 1"
this is what i am picturing when you say that
-1=<cos=<1
-1=<sin=<1

yet i don't know how ^that helps at all.
wr
or do you mean that in order to be allowed to write it as "1"*"R"*"LN(R^2)", that i first have to say "if cos + sin =<1, than the equation is "", because the sum of the squares of each are one."?

i also tried not converting it, and got a beast of a problem when i used l'hospital

[tex]|r(\cos\theta + \sin\theta)\ln(r^2)|\le |r|(|\cos\theta|+|\sin\theta|)|2\ln(r)|
\le 4|r\ln(r)| = 4\left|\frac {\ln(r)}{\frac 1 r}\right|\rightarrow 0[/tex]

1. What are the main concepts covered in the Limits of Complex Functions final exam?

The main concepts covered in the Limits of Complex Functions final exam include limits of complex functions, continuity, differentiability, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. Students are expected to have a strong understanding of these concepts and their applications in solving complex function problems.

2. How can I prepare effectively for the Limits of Complex Functions final exam?

To prepare effectively for the final exam, it is important to review all class notes, textbook readings, and practice problems. It is also helpful to work through past exams and quizzes to get a feel for the types of questions that may be asked. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending review sessions can also be beneficial.

3. Are there any specific strategies or tips for solving complex function problems on the final exam?

One important strategy for solving complex function problems is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or use visualization techniques to better understand the problem. Additionally, it is important to carefully check your work and make sure all steps and calculations are accurate.

4. Can I use a calculator on the Limits of Complex Functions final exam?

Most exams on complex functions do not allow the use of calculators. However, it is always best to check with your professor or exam guidelines to confirm whether or not a calculator is permitted. In any case, it is important to practice solving problems without a calculator to ensure you are comfortable with the material.

5. Are there any common mistakes students make on the Limits of Complex Functions final exam?

Some common mistakes students make on the final exam include not carefully reading the question, not showing all steps in their solutions, and not checking their work for accuracy. It is important to take your time and be thorough in your problem-solving approach to avoid making these mistakes. It can also be helpful to review common errors from past exams to avoid making them on your own exam.