1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc 3/Thermo differentiation

Tags:
  1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    pFwiQ16.png

2. Relevant equations
    au/as=T
    au/av=p
    S/R=ln[(v-b)(u+a/c)^2]

3. The attempt at a solution
    1/T=1/au/as=as/au
    S=ln[(v-b)(U+a/v)^2]R
    as/au=[(v-b)2(U+a/v)(1)]R/[(v-b)(U+a/v)^2]=2R/(U+a/v)=1/T
    T=(U+a/v)/2R
    U=2RT-a/v
    au/av=-P
    au=-Pav
    integrate au to get u=-pv+c

u=-pv+c=2RT-a/v
    -p=2RT-a/v-C
    p=a/v-2RT+c

7uylucs.png uploaded my work in image format.

One of the main problem I have is that we haven't learned multivariable integration(or partial integration I don't know what it's called.)

edit:
    more attempts
    zQrph03.png

2M8nJNS.png

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You found an expression for U as a function of V, and you're told ##P = -\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}##. Why are you integrating? Just differentiate U with respect to V to find the pressure.

4. Nov 4, 2014 #3
    Hi vela, I need to express pressure as a function of temperature and volume. I need to get both T and V in the expression. Which is the problem I'm having.

taking the au/av would give me a/v^2

5. Nov 4, 2014 #4
    kBIawEe.png
    Another attempt.

6. Nov 4, 2014 #5
    You already correctly obtained ##\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial S}\right)_V=T=\frac{(U+\frac{a}{V})}{2R}##. Now please show us what you get for ##\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_S=-P##. You will need to combine the two relationships.

Chet

7. Nov 4, 2014 #6
    Hey Chet. In my previous posts I listed how I derived au/av from the chain rule in implicit differentiation. They might not be correct but
    au/av=e^(S/R) (-2/(u+a/v))^3 is what I got for fourth attempt

au/av= 2R[((u+a/v)(-a/v^2)]/[(v-b)(u+a/v)^2]/[2R((v-b)(u+a/v))/((v-b)(u+a/v)^2)] is what I got for my second attempt

au/av=-2R/(v-b)(u+a/v)(v^2)/[(2R/(u+a/v))+1/T] is what I got on the third attempt

my derivation are all in the photos.(Not that I think they are right :(. So far unfortunately only my last attempt actually gave me a expression with T in it, T always somehow cancels out in the end in other attempts.

8. Nov 5, 2014 #7
    I took a simpler/different approach

28OftM6.png the answer looks appropriate but I'm not sure if I messed up somewhere.

9. Nov 5, 2014 #8
    I get:
    [tex]\frac{S}{R}=ln(V-b)+2ln(U+\frac{a}{V})[/tex]
    So,
    [tex]\frac{dS}{R}=\frac{dV}{V-b}+\frac{2}{(U+\frac{a}{V})}(dU-\frac{a}{V^2}dV)[/tex]
    At constant S, this becomes:
    [tex]0=(\frac{1}{V-b}-\frac{2a/V^2}{(U+\frac{a}{V})})dV
    +\frac{2}{(U+\frac{a}{V})}dU[/tex]
    Solving for ##\partial U/\partial V## gives:
    [tex]\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_S=-\frac{(U+a/V)}{2(V-b)}+a/V^2=-P[/tex]
    Does this match any of the results from your attempts?

Chet

10. Nov 5, 2014 #9
    Hi Chet, yes it matches the results from my last attempt. If I sub in U=2RT-a/v for U in your answer I would get p=RT/(v-b)-a/v^2

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_S=-\frac{(2RT-a/v+a/V)}{2(V-b)}+a/V^2=-P[/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_S=\frac{(RT)}{(V-b)}-a/V^2=P[/tex]

11. Nov 5, 2014 #10
    I forgot to mention. Thank you for the help Chet! I really appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted